1st Coal Stove

erfootball
Other Heating: Progressive Wood Stove

Post by erfootball » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Hello all,

We currently heat our 2400 sq ft home with a wood stove and have since we've been here. We are looking to switch to coal. Have been doing quite a bit of reading on it and am looking for some experienced opinions. I am looking for a coal stove that has a similar heating ability to my wood stove and hopper/ash capacity to not need changing out to the largest extent possible. Price is a consideration, but I don't mind paying for a new unit of good quality that fits those goals. I'm thinking I'd prefer one with no motorized parts, gravity fed, I don't see much advantage to the blower. Feel free to disagree and share your experiences, I appreciate your sharing of information. Looking at some of them, it seemed to me the ash pan would be the first thing to need attention if we were to leave it running and say went away for a weekend? Rather than the hopper? Can capacity be increased somehow?

So far, my leading candidates are Hitzer 50-93 or Alaska Model 140 single

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 8:20 am

Welcome to the FORUM E. I'd be lying if I didn't tell ya I'm kinda partial towards HITZER 50-93 LOL As far as going away for week-end if you set HITZER low, it would go for around 3-4 days & still bec able to get her goin again--WITH HOPPER-------------- I take it you are familiar with burnig wood--when/if you go to coal--the most important thing is--forget every thing you've learned doing wood. 50-93 is REAL user friendly & lots of experienced people here that have one. As far as Alaska---I have no knowledge. E, finish your profile--location is real impt.--nobodys gonna steal ya LOL Some times their are members right next door & have been known to do an in person visit if a person is having problems Again!!! WELCOME

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:20 am

Posted here in Bitumious section here begs the question of your plans for coal type to burn...makes quite a difference which type as to getting accurate replies...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 11:07 am

E, if you're using BIT coal--forget thr 50-93!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good catch M---I didn't even notice!! Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

erfootball

Post by erfootball » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Thank you guys for the replies. The true answer is I don’t know which I’d use. I have a family member who burns rice coal and a friend who burns coal that looks like shards for lack of a better term.

I’m from central New York, not sure if that makes a difference to the type of coal best available or if different types of coal are better for different applications

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:09 pm

No, it makes a difference upon your stove choice------------------ :) Where in central NY?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 6:04 am

More than likely they are burning Hard (or) anthracite coal. If they were in Ohio, or Illinois, or even Wyoming, then it might be soft coal, but New York is most likely hard coal.

That is the first step for you though , which is to figure out, what kind of coal you can get.

Again, more than likely, it is hard coal.

I wish I could offer you some ideas, but my stoves are older stoves so I am unsure of what is available out there, and what is best for your situation.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 9:25 am

erfootball wrote:
Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Hello all,

We currently heat our 2400 sq ft home with a wood stove and have since we've been here. We are looking to switch to coal. Have been doing quite a bit of reading on it and am looking for some experienced opinions. I am looking for a coal stove that has a similar heating ability to my wood stove and hopper/ash capacity to not need changing out to the largest extent possible. Price is a consideration, but I don't mind paying for a new unit of good quality that fits those goals. I'm thinking I'd prefer one with no motorized parts, gravity fed, I don't see much advantage to the blower. Feel free to disagree and share your experiences, I appreciate your sharing of information. Looking at some of them, it seemed to me the ash pan would be the first thing to need attention if we were to leave it running and say went away for a weekend? Rather than the hopper? Can capacity be increased somehow?

So far, my leading candidates are Hitzer 50-93 or Alaska Model 140 single
Piecing together info...seems your desires are for hand fed, hopper stove for hard coal (anthracite).
Coal sizing would be primarily "Nut" with possiblities of graduating to include coal one size up ("stove") or coal one size down ("pea"). *FFred* recommendation is fully valid as stated in first reply. ;)

erfootball

Post by erfootball » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Sauquoit ny 13318 Fred

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”