Steam Locomotive Coal

steamlocomotive
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HK Porter 0-4-0T
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous Nut & Egg

Post by steamlocomotive » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 9:13 am

Last year we finished restoration on a 24" gauge steam locomotive that we now run on weekends in the summer as part of an industrial museum. Due to its convenience I have been purchasing mine run Kentucky coal from Thompson Brothers in North Lima, OH but it is a bit expensive and the fact that it is anything from a boulder to fines makes it hard to handle and use. I am looking for either nut or egg low sulphur bit coal in the general area of Youngstown or someone who could deliver a truckload to us.

We have no complaints with the Kentucky coal at all. Leaves no clinkers, has a good smell, burns hot. The only problem is that it is not graded and that makes it impossible to use with our new coal bin (a converted gravity wagon).

We burn about a ton per weekend that we run and we will be running the first weekend of each month from June through October.

https://youtu.be/uzD5eCTe01k

Attachments

2019-07-07 11.25.33.jpg
.JPG | 593KB | 2019-07-07 11.25.33.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 9:30 am

Come on S--finish your profile so we don't have to keep scrollin back--I promise, nobodys gonna steal ya :lol: ---Ohhhhh, by the way--- welcome to the FORUM--OUTSTANDING post!! :)

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 9:45 am

McCleod in Decatur Illinois hauls Viper coalmine coal in Williamsville Il. I don’t know what they charge as I pick mine up myself. They only sell one size and they call it stove coal but it’s more like nut. $70 a ton usually.

steamlocomotive
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HK Porter 0-4-0T
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous Nut & Egg

Post by steamlocomotive » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks! I think I will enjoy this forum. Very good to find others who also use black diamonds

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Outstanding on completing your profile S. I'm sure ya will--just a bunch of crazy people that enjoy the hell out of heating with coal & the history that goes with it.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 5:04 am

Maybe a dumb idea, but how hard would it be for you to classify it yourself? I mean if you like the coal and the service, then why not "make it what it ain't". Run the coal over a grizzly using a Kubota tractor or something?

As for your original post: I read it too quick. In not having enough coffee I guess, I read "24 inch gauged", but here in Maine we just call them "Two-Footers". It is nice to hear other states are getting those old Two Footers running again. Good for you guys.

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 6:25 am

Have you ever heard of the old Steam Trains in Northern Maine @Steamlocomotive?

If you have not, it is two massive steam locomotives that the paper company used to have to move wood from nowhere to nowhere. When they got done logging, they just left the engines there, and that was 100 years ago.

So last summer my wife and I decided to take the kids there. It was 160 miles from the house, and 82 miles from the nearest Maine town (Kokadjo). So 82 miles of back road driving just to get to where you can park. Then an hour hike through the woods to go see where they were left. It was pretty neat, but you really have to experience the isolation to understand it!

You look at all this railroad heavy steel strewn about through the woods and realize it was all hauled in from Quebec because that was the nearest location, and it just boggles the mind.

At one time though, the place was a real town called Tramway, Maine, and even had a semi-pro baseball team! Old railroad cars, sidings, tracks, switches, locomotives...all strewn out through the woods beside this lake. It was a real fun trip to take the kids too.

(Note: These are standard gauge, and not some of Maine's famed 2 footers).
DSCN0690.JPG
.JPG | 701.9KB | DSCN0690.JPG
DSCN0691.JPG
.JPG | 726.9KB | DSCN0691.JPG
DSCN0693.JPG
.JPG | 661.6KB | DSCN0693.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 6:31 am

Another fun trip you might like is in Bradley, Maine in the beginning of October. They have Maine Logging Days and bring out their Steam Lombard Log Hauler and allow the public to go for rides/drive it.

They said that they used tax money to help with the restoration and so they were going to allow tax payers to ride/drive it, which I thought was pretty good of them.

It is pretty fun, although it uses wood and not coal.

This was me driving it a few years ago.

Attachments

DSCN4402.JPG
.JPG | 639.7KB | DSCN4402.JPG
DSCN4406.JPG
.JPG | 543.3KB | DSCN4406.JPG
DSCN4408.JPG
.JPG | 664.4KB | DSCN4408.JPG

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 7:25 am

Which one are you N????????????????????????????? LOL

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 8:18 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 7:25 am
Which one are you N????????????????????????????? LOL
Wow! Just Wow! :-)

And to think you guys would be all over the fact that it was wood powered instead of steam!!

On an additional note; those trains located in Northern Maine. They were oil fired as can be seen from their tenders.

The guy beside me was a really nice guy, and was the Steam Plant Operator for the University. He had to be there because this was high pressure steam. We had a good conversation!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 10:54 am

WOW INDEED!!! LOL Nice post on the pix N.:)

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 5:23 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 10:54 am
WOW INDEED!!! LOL Nice post on the pix N.:)
I really enjoyed the experience.

Steam Lombard's were the first bulldozer's to be put into production, and everyone knows how much I like bulldozers! Then to be a Maine company, and use steam was nice.

Maybe when I get my high pressure steam boiler license I can volunteer to help out that museum. About half the people in our old church volunteer to help out in that event.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 10:23 pm

NoSmoke wrote:
Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 6:25 am
Have you ever heard of the old Steam Trains in Northern Maine @Steamlocomotive?

If you have not, it is two massive steam locomotives that the paper company used to have to move wood from nowhere to nowhere. When they got done logging, they just left the engines there, and that was 100 years ago.

So last summer my wife and I decided to take the kids there. It was 160 miles from the house, and 82 miles from the nearest Maine town (Kokadjo). So 82 miles of back road driving just to get to where you can park. Then an hour hike through the woods to go see where they were left. It was pretty neat, but you really have to experience the isolation to understand it!

You look at all this railroad heavy steel strewn about through the woods and realize it was all hauled in from Quebec because that was the nearest location, and it just boggles the mind.

At one time though, the place was a real town called Tramway, Maine, and even had a semi-pro baseball team! Old railroad cars, sidings, tracks, switches, locomotives...all strewn out through the woods beside this lake. It was a real fun trip to take the kids too.

(Note: These are standard gauge, and not some of Maine's famed 2 footers).

DSCN0690.JPG
DSCN0691.JPG
DSCN0693.JPG
I dont know where these trains are but I know exactly where Kokadjo is. I have come up to the Greenville area of Maine for the last 5 summers. I had a really neat experience following a bull moose in my truck down Frenchtown rd just outside of Kokadjo. So did you go through kokadjo and out the Golden Road through Baxter State Forest or how did you get there?

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Look for Tramway on the map, or up by Lobster Lake. It is 82 miles from Kokadjo.

You do get on the Golden Road, but you make a left just after Ripagenoius Dam and just before Abol Bridge. Take the Allagash Road North, past the checkpoint (they will give you a map anyway), then hang a left at the Tee Intersection. Drive about 8 miles and take the next right. Drive to the logging camps about 15 miles up, and make a right about two miles past the logging camps. I would say you cannot miss it, but it is two wheel tracks in the forest: it is VERY easy to miss. (LOL)

Another cool site to go to is the B-52 Site up on Elephant Mountain. That is only a few miles south of Kokadjo.

And of course hit the Black Frog or Kelly's Landing.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 7:43 pm

Ok cool. I’ll have to check that out! I have been to the B52 sight very cool and kind of eerie. Beautiful country. And we are frequent flyers at Kelly’s landing. Never been to the Black Frog. We took a float plane ride off of Moosehead Lake last year with Jacks Air Service. We flew over the Allagash. The summit of Mt. Kathadin was hiding in the fog. It was awesome! I fully believe someday I will live in Maine. I absolutely love it up there.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”