I have absolutely no “stove” control bought a 1357

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 8:08 am

Might just need to zero out the manometer... The barometric damper looks like it's working fine.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 8:25 am

I have quite a lot of soot. It was plugging the Mano port. I’m not sure why the soot built up so bad last night. It looked like it was burning good when I went to bed.

A severe fog rolled in last night maybe that killed the draft and caused the fire to smolder.

I wonder if building a hot wood fire will clean the soot off?

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 8:31 am

That makes sense... Even anthracite will eventually corrode and cake up the end of the manometer tube. But it takes years, not one foggy night!

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 8:39 am

This bit I have will create a ton of soot if it isn’t burned just right. It looks like that was the case last night.

A guy at work told me his dad use to clean it all out by firing the stove cherry red and burning it off. Obviously im not going to do that, but I find it amusing what people used to do.

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 6:35 am

Kind of struggling with the warmer weather but haven’t lost the fire yet. There just isn’t much draft. It’s going to be 61 today. I might just let it go out.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 601.3KB | image.jpg

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Well I bought some anthracite nut from Tsc so I threw 40lbs in on top of the little bit of bituminous that was left in the stove at noon.

This pic was an hour later. It was somewhat of a learning experience. It didn’t do much at first then it took off like a train. I threw on the brakes at *550 and it finally yielded at *725. I’m currently trying to level it out before I leave. It dropped like a rock when I put the brakes on. Id like to settle it down around *325.

We’ll see how long 40 lbs lasts. I won’t be able to shake it down. I hat the front liner raised so I could get my handsaw in there to shake it down and now the liner has fallen off it’s perch so I can’t get anything under it. I’m going to have to find a solution for that. I need something permanent.

Attachments

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 3:06 pm

fig wrote:
Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 2:26 pm
and now the liner has fallen off it’s perch so I can’t get anything under it. I’m going to have to find a solution for that. I need something permanent.
I trimmed ~3/8 inch off the bottom of the front liner with a jigsaw except for the sides. Then the 1/4 thick ash saw slides in on top the grate nicely. In the meantime, you could try prying up the front liner and blocking it to stay in place.

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 8:54 pm

The liners on this model are much different then the Clayton. The same principle could be applied though. I think I’ll shut her down tomorrow and fix a few things.

So far so good though. It’s idling at *220 right now. It’s about *55 out. *76 in the house. This anthracite is a whole different animal. This pic is 8 hours in. I would have burned through 40 lbs of bit in 8 hours. I might have to crunch some numbers and compare prices.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 531.2KB | image.jpg

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 5:23 am

Well I woke up at 3am to water my horse. I took a look at the furnace.

It was about *190 I opened the ash door for about 5 minutes. Then started wrestling with the liner. I managed to stick a poker under it and run to the back of the stove and wiggle side to side. The gases immediately ignited. I removed the poker and left the ash door open. It started to take off like a train. It was burning beautifully. I decided to run the poker inside along the tapered sides of the firebox. Boy, that was a mistake.

That killed its momentum. I opened the ash door again. I took the poker under the grate and gently cleaned the ash from the slots. Not much fell out. It really didn’t take off again.

The temp above the door seemed to be hovering at *325. I decided to close the ash door and just let it ride. A half hour later I hear the duct fan kick off. So I’m not sure if I’ve killed the fire or not. I’ll go down there in a while and see what’s what.

This anthracite seems to be very delicate. I could flip my bit around like cooking flapjacks and it wouldn’t care.

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 9:10 am

Stove is now at *250. Draft is .01. I’ve moved one of the carbon monoxide detectors down by the mano. Just want to take an extra step. I’m worried about the low draft. I’m sure it’s due to the warm weather.

I’ll definitely let it burn out today. I need to clean the mica. The bit immediately rendered it pretty much useless. I’ll also deal with the front liner and I’d like to make an extension to the overfire air tube on the outside of the stove. It gets to hot to handle where it’s at. I’d like it to be more convenient.

Back to the pellet stove for a while.

Attachments

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 9:20 am

Back on the bit again. Got a little hot on reload. This stuff is difficult to predict. It’s settled down now. Bumped the house up to 76. Time for shorts. I think my sweat pants are going on vacation this winter.

Attachments

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 7:54 pm

Do you have a way to tinker with the secondary burner air inflow?

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Not yet. All I can do is thread a cap on the end of the pipe. So it’s full on or full off.

I’m having trouble stretching these burns out too. With the Warm Morning I was able to get 12 hour burns. I’m struggling to get 6 hour burns now. It takes forever to get this filled, by the time I start making any headway on filling up I have to shake it down again lol.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 1:10 pm

I would rig something up to control that burner and check your ash door for air leaks these U.S Stove Company products are not put together that great.

fig

Post by fig » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 4:28 pm

I spent a little time on the lathe today working on the air control. I didn’t get it finished as I got sidetracked. I’ll try to get back to it tonight.

The over heat there in the pic is completely my fault. I am still learning on when the best time is to close the ash door down. Apparently I got it wrong there and a few more times since lol.

It’s really warm again today. I haven’t had any cold weather since I fired this thing up. If I knew I had this kind of power over the weather I would have exercised it long ago.

I have the stove running about 325 over the door. .06 ish on the mano and it’s is a balmy 76 in here. Kinda nice to run around in the skivies for a change.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”