bituminous coal

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi guys, i live in lehighton pa. And im having a hell of a time finding somewhere local that i can have my truck filled with bit coal.any info pointing me somewhere local that sells would be great

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 1:51 pm

You need it for blacksmithing presumably? Good luck, I had customer ask me once if I could deliver it to them and of course the answer was no. It's mined in the western part of the state and there is almost no demand for it except for special case uses like blacksmithing.

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 2:24 pm

well not for blacksmithing, i wanted to try to burn bit in the beginning part of the warmer season instead of going straight to anthracite. i thought of doing wood but i have no chimney liner and dont want a chimney fire

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 3:58 pm

i dont think its as cut and dry as just throwing in bit instead of anthracite.... wood wont cause a chimney fire, if you burn alot of wood at low temps it could start to build up over time but a quick clean and youll be fine.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 6:56 pm

I burnt bit on and off over the past year, mostly weekends when I was home to play with it. Till you get the volatile gasses burnt off she doesn't like a slow fire, it's hot and fast and then settles down, otherwise you waste a lot of un-burnt fuel up the flue. I can definitely get a slower fire with my Lehigh anthracite but by all means if you can find some play with it. The other thing you kinda have to watch is it will swell up. At least all three of mine did to some degree or other, and if you throw a bunch in at one time it will be pushing on the walls and door before you realize it. :o

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Alright fellas, ill keep calling around to all the fuel providers in my area and hopefully find someone that sells bit wholesale around me. I freaking live in PA you would think the stuff would be plentiful

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Ya need to move a few hundred miles West young man. We are soon to be stocked full of everything but run of mine. High vol, low vol, you name it.

Richard is right, there is very low demand for it in your area but in the Alleghenies we sell several Tri-axle loads a week during the heating season. With anthracite so close to you I don’t think you can really compete the two on price.

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 2:11 am

Gotcha, darn was hoping i could get it cheap in my area

BunkerdCaddis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 6:28 am

If you're thinking about going to the meet and greet this year and this will be a good reason to make the trip, bring a trailer along and get a load, Hall's is right there in the same area.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 10:05 am

Everyone should have the Bit experience at least once.
Your chimney will be lined after you burn that Bit...lined with thick black soot!

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 10:58 am

so burning bit can be done in a normal hand fed? i thought you needed a different set up or something for bit? over the fire air at least? my stove doesnt have an adjustable over the fire air adjustment. (gibraltar MCC) i didnt know i could just throw bit in there i thought it was a different process

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 1:49 pm

Bit is more a kin to burning wood...or sometimes more like burning old tires.

There will be no doubts to any neighbors within sight what you're burning there...best if the smoke doesn't drift outside windows and doors of neighbors too.

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 3:27 pm

yes, alas i cannot find cheap bit anywhere in my local area so ill settle with starting and ending the heating season with wood. Bit mines are wayy too far from where i live sadly. I was thinking 55$ for a ton of it would be great saving money, now its 55$ for a bag lol

BunkerdCaddis

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 6:57 pm

ratherbeflying wrote:
Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 10:58 am
so burning bit can be done in a normal hand fed? i thought you needed a different set up or something for bit? over the fire air at least? my stove doesnt have an adjustable over the fire air adjustment. (gibraltar MCC) i didnt know i could just throw bit in there i thought it was a different process
Mine doesn't have over fire air either, Like I said I only burnt it when I was around. I got some Fisher Nut from Hall's last year, It's not as volatile as the others, I let the door open just a smidge to let some air in and once it settled down closed the door. I read somewhere else someone had taken the gasket out of the bottom of their door to do the same thing.
The Fisher Nut was not as smoky as some and once it had settled down there was only a little smoke, a slow burning wood fire puts out more. Personally I liked the smell of the Fisher Nut :what: as it had a slightly sweet smell. The Kentucky Blue Diamond I have, while great for starting fires, smelled like a Harbor Freight store just burnt to the ground :hangover: and was much smokier. Nobody ever mentioned anything to me about the smell and I have neighbors close on three sides. Your mileage may vary...

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 8:46 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 1:49 pm
Bit is more a kin to burning wood...or sometimes more like burning old tires.

There will be no doubts to any neighbors within sight what you're burning there...best if the smoke doesn't drift outside windows and doors of neighbors too.
Here we go again. I respectfully beg to differ, you guys blow this waaaaayyyyyy out of proportion every time.

To begin with, get the right seam of coal for what you are trying to heat. I have coal on stock here that smokes very little more than anthracite and that smoke all comes when you do your firing for a few minutes until it burns off the volatile gasses. After that, it smokes less than a wood fire. Yes, I have some that smokes ALOT, and it makes a TON of heat. These guys are out in the mountains and have no neighbors for miles, smoke means someone is home.

Not everyone can afford anthracite. For those who cannot, it remains a very cost effective way to heat. To those who had great reviews on our bituminous coal, I greatly appreciate that. We try very hard.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”