Difference between #5 & #6 bit coal

DJ54

Post by DJ54 » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 1:02 pm

There is a good chance I may be able to get access to some #6 bit lump coal. Normally, the #6 goes to the power plants in the region, but this is from a clay mining operation, so they are basically needing it out of their way, and selling to a distributor. I normally burn the #5, but wondering how much difference there is in the BTU's of the 2.

Several years ago, I replied to an ad where a fellow had some Industrial steam coal, which I'm sure is #6, free for the loading and hauling. I got approx. 14 tons, as that is all the room I had to store it out of the way. It burns well in the old Florence Hot Blast stove in the shop, once you get a good bed of coals going. I normally add wood, to keep a good fire going, and add the Industrial coal in small amounts. I've also got a small amount of lump I'll add at the end of the day, to hold the fire over night. Since that is about gone, I need to re-stock on some lump, and since the opportunity has possibly presented itself, IF they still have some in stock for the near the same price as the #5, if it'd be worth it in increased BTU's.

I did a quick search tying to find the BTU output for both, but have found very little, other than a lot of spread of BTU's for bit coal, but not down to the difference in #5 & #6.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Not familiar DJ with the numbers, in this region most bituminous coals are either classified as high-vol or low-vol, meaning the content of the volatile gasses contained in the seam. Low-vol is obviously the most desirable for house coal while the high is usually pushed off for steam coal but is good in an outdoor boiler.

The only numbers really ever tossed about are the BTU ratings.

DJ54

Post by DJ54 » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks..!! This is in SE Ohio, if that makes any difference. I reckon' I can just ask at the scale house, when I go. It's a pretty small operation, and the guy, I presume is the owner, seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Their 5 is good enough that some shiester's are selling it to people as KY coal. It's been a few years since I've been on here, and do recall someone mentioning that there were a few coal yards, and one particular hardware in Columbus that had KY coal. I mentioned back at that time, that he had sold two semi loads to that hardware.

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 8:01 am

Hey DJ,how is the #6 coal burning for you? I seen where you had got some from Bramhi. I called them and they said they had Ohio coal and Kentucky coal as well. I hope they keep getting the Kentucky coal in. Its worth the extra 20.00 on the ton for it.

DJ54

Post by DJ54 » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 6:54 pm

I did a test burn yesterday, while also firing up the waste oil furnace in the shop. I put 4 lumps in,about the size of a 5lb. bag of sugar, after getting a nice wood based fire going. Got the upper flue temps up over 300º before putting the coal in. I threw in a few smaller pieces to help it catch. Once it got to burning good, it sat there and cruised at 500º to 525º on the lower flue temp., while the upper was around 300º to 325º. Not as much smokeas I had anticipated,and got a good 4 hour burn out of it, and still going when I shut the lower damper down, to go in for the evening. Got, ad held the shop temps at a comfy 68º. I threw in a half feed scoop,maybe a 1/2lb. of the steam coal I have scads of, to see how it would ignite on top of the lumps. It also did well, and is exactly what I was wanting it to do. Much easier than having to throw wood in ever 30 minutes or so, for something for the fine industrial coal, to keep it going briskly.

Funny you mentioned liking the KY coal better. The lady in the scale house said most of their customers, were glad they were getting Ohio coal back in there.

I just wish I had room for more of it.

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 8:34 pm

I am hoping to get down there this week and get a couple of two or three ton of the KY coal before they sell out.My father in-law is burning it in a warm morning stove and he likes it very well. When I had a do machine stove, that’s what I burnt in it was KY coal. I might get some of that #6 coal and try it in our shop here at home. Thanks for the info on the #6 coal.

PFrank
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fatsco Midget
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane wall heater

Post by PFrank » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 4:58 am

Here is a Coke Button size chart. Heat a button to 800°f and measure the swelling.

Attachments

download.jpeg-1.jpg
.JPG | 298.3KB | download.jpeg-1.jpg

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 7:39 am

In Ohio the number of coal is just a geological reference. The number 5 (Lower Kittanning) is located beneath the number 6 (Middle Kittanning). They are numbered 1-12, but there are actually 58 different names seams of coal in Ohio. Geological position doesn't really dictate quality.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Here is a good searchable database for Kentucky Coal..

https://kgs.uky.edu/kgsweb/DataSearching/Coal/Qua ... Search.asp

Another database from USGS....

http://www.energy.psu.edu/csb/argonnesamples.html

PSU Database incl Argonne labs...

http://www.energy.psu.edu/csb/doesb.html

If I can find it there is a whole searchable database for the US .

BigBarney

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”