Blacksmithing coal

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Hello my new friends! My name is Brando Vanschoyck, I am from southeastern kentucky, hindman kentucky to be exact. I own and operate a small traditional blacksmithing business here in hindman called Deathless Forge. I am new to coal forging, I need some coal for blacksmithing. My mentor says that I need metallurgical coal, low sulfur, low ash high BTU and coal that cokes up. I am using some that he gave me, I think he may have said it was red onion? I am looking for a source of coal somewhat close to me that would sell me small quantities such as a pickup truck bed full of coal at a time. I would appreciate all help and suggestions, and I am here to learn! Thanks so much for your help!

Brando Vanschoyck

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Anyone ? Any advice at all is helpful and appreciated

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:52 am

Not many folks here from that area but I'll give you a bump so your thread doesn't get lost in the fold. Someone may have your information and it's Saturday...hang in there.

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:19 am

cabinover wrote:
Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:52 am
Not many folks here from that area but I'll give you a bump so your thread doesn't get lost in the fold. Someone may have your information and it's Saturday...hang in there.
Thank you very much my friend! I definitely need coal and a steady supply! Gas forges just wont cut it on certain projects, especially demonstrations and reenactments!! I really appreciate your time!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:53 am

Im not a blacksmith. I think Blaschak sells bags of what they call Blacksmith coal. Im guessing that is some form of hard coal but am uncertain. There is another company but the name escapes me that also sells bagged coal for blacksmithing. You might be able to buy small amounts, like a bag or two and pay a large shipping fee to try different brands before getting a truck load.

Check craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc, as you might find a local source. Im betting every setup will be different for what coal works best so i wouldnt buy tons of it before trying it. Good luck in your search and with your business.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:59 am

Did you do a search on blacksmithing on the forum? You did post in a "heating" thread... but try using the search bar in the upper right corner, chances are your question has been asked before but in a different thread. You could also browse the general interest threads here >>> General Interests

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 10:16 am

Google "blacksmith coal" for some sources, even amazon.

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! When I searched blacksmithing on this forum all I found were posts that were 3 or 4 years old. As far as ordering online, the coal they sell from blacksmithing sites is called bituminous coal, and I think it is more specifically pocahontas coal, I believe from virginia or west virginia. The coal from hardware stores is anthracite and it doesnt work well at all for blacksmithing. I need coal that cokes up. If i order online it comes out to around a dollar a pound after shipping. I go through probably a 5 gallon bucket or so in 2 days maybe more. Thanks again.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Kimmel's sells blacksmith coal in 50 lb bags. If you have a local dealer they should be able to order it for you.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Around me, more of the Tractor Supply coal sells to blacksmiths than for heating and thats anthracite. Maybe watch some videos online on using anthracite and get it from a local TSC. If your set on using bit coal, ordering by the pallet (a ton or 2400 pounds, it varies) and shipping thru U-ship or fastenal shipping may be your best bet as far as ordering.

You should be close enough to a source to possibly buy in bulk but I couldnt tell you what mines. Perhaps talk to a couple coal dealers within a couple hundred miles and they may know where. Those steam engine folks may also know somewhere.

TheScrambler92

Post by TheScrambler92 » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 10:20 am

I'd definitely try some of that pocohontas though. Stuff is supposed to be legendary for smithing.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 5:58 pm

I was trying to read up on the blacksmithing coal and from your description of needing a "coking" coal I wonder if this thread would help Bit Coal ... or this thread if this is the kind of coal you're looking for Where Do You Get Your Bituminous Coal and a Going Price?

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Yes my mentor and father in law both told me that I need bituminous coal, sometimes called metallurgical coal as well! Thank all of you guys for your help. Also I have a lot of ppl offering to give me what they're calling "house coal", what is house coal?! Thanks again guys

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 8:43 pm

TheScrambler92 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 10:20 am
I'd definitely try some of that pocohontas though. Stuff is supposed to be legendary for smithing.
That's exactly what I've heard around demonstrations and conferences. Now, where to get it?!?! Hmmmm...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 6:02 am

http://www.penncoal.com/blacksmith-live-steam.html

If you are willing to pay for freight, I am sure these guys would send you a pallet or two.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”