Warm Morning 523

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:01 pm

I busted it up. I'm going to let it burn out and see what kind of clinker I'm left with. This sure is different from the anthracite. Too bad that stuff is so expensive. I'll just have to keep working at this bit.

I think I'll try to put that magic heat in while I've got it shut down.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:12 pm

lf it is decent coal there will be no clinker, what you're busting up should be all burnable to ash if you kept it busted so air can keep it going.
The trick is to keep the fire ball near to below the ash fusion temp and not need to bust it so often...careful with that ash door open so much revving that fire up so much, go easy there.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:31 pm

You may find it will need to be tended more often than anthracite. For various reasons hard coal likes to be left alone whereas the soft coal may be a little more hands on. Mcgiever is likely right, lowering the air value may produce less coke. Try keeping a deeper ash bed, perhaps let’s not shake the ashes quite as hard as I first suggested. This will slow the air coming in and allow the fire to “stay off the grates”. You are doing the right thing by busting it open the way you are, I think you have that down pat. Once you catch the hang of all this you can load the firebox up a little more to get longer burn intervals out of it.

Don’t give up on it... bituminous is very cost effective but it does take trial and error to get past the learning curve. I haven’t seen you complain about the soot or gas content (unless I missed it) so you are on the right path!

I was fortunate enough to have grown up with it but not everyone had that opportunity... sometimes the learning can keep it fun.

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 7:25 pm

I burn Kentucky lump in a Warm Morning # 400 and keep it full near the top of the inner flues. When charging with coal ill open mpd and poke then shake real good till i see red ambers. I open ash door then put a whole bucket in , as soon as fire catches up i close ash door and usually close mpd all the way. I leave over fire air on my 400 open at all times . I find it helps the volatiles burn cleaner and dont have to sweep the chimney of soot as often. Invest in a good poker and try not smother out all the hot amber coal when charging.
Tony

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 7:42 pm

I filled her up all the way. Had me sweating it was so hot. I added a few scoops let it catch up and just repeated that until it was full. Those corner flues really took off. We had 40 mph winds last night so I think that might be why it was burning down so fast. Sure sounded different today. How hot is overfire? My magnetic temp gauge reads overfire starts at 700* but it's for wood. It came with my Woodstock stove. I don't know if it's true for all stoves. The pic is. My refill at 6 am this morning.
IMG_20190212_203417.jpg
.JPG | 382KB | IMG_20190212_203417.jpg

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 10:17 pm

fig wrote:
Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 7:42 pm
I filled her up all the way. Had me sweating it was so hot. I added a few scoops let it catch up and just repeated that until it was full. Those corner flues really took off. We had 40 mph winds last night so I think that might be why it was burning down so fast. Sure sounded different today. How hot is overfire? My magnetic temp gauge reads overfire starts at 700* but it's for wood. It came with my Woodstock stove. I don't know if it's true for all stoves. The pic is. My refill at 6 am this morning.

IMG_20190212_203417.jpg
It may be a good idea to install a barometric damper to help control the draft these stove need it 700 is pushing it.

Also i use a IR gun thermometer to measure temp my stick on gauge was a 150 degrees off

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:22 pm

I'll have to pick up an ir gauge this weekend. I bought a baro from Menard's but after looking at it I decided to get a better one. The movement was kind of sticky. I'll swing by an hvac place tomorrow and see if they have something better.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 1:38 am

fig wrote:
Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:22 pm
I'll have to pick up an ir gauge this weekend. I bought a baro from Menard's but after looking at it I decided to get a better one. The movement was kind of sticky. I'll swing by an hvac place tomorrow and see if they have something better.
Field Controls Type RC is what most on the forum use.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 12:16 pm

With these Warm Morning stoves they are easy to tend...

Open your MPD (if installed) if a baro cover to up draft draw..

Wait till smoke clears poke down fire then fill to the brim ....

Shake grates till a small amount of glowing coal fall....

These stoves hold a large amount of coal so in 12 hours ...

Repeat ,repeat etc....

Make sure you don't starve it of coal or you will lose your fire...

My old WM held nearly 100# of coal so don't be stingy , use the

primary air to control your heat...

BigBarney

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 12:08 pm

I let it burn out and was left with 6 clinkers about the size of my fist. I'm thinking maybe I didn't poke good enough when I was shaking it down.

I couldn't find anyplace in town that had a baro so I had to order one online. I went ahead and ordered a monometer also. Looks like it might take a few weeks to get here. In the meantime I'm going to install the magic heat this weekend and see if I can reclaim some heat. However, I'm not sure it's not such a bad idea to let the chimney get hot. It stayed Warm for several hours after the fire was out. It actually was keeping my kitchen warm, which is where the chimney runs through. It's the coldest room in the house and I think the chimney is keeping it comfortable.

I have a few other ideas for getting the heat upstairs. My furnace is broken and hasn't been used in over a decade which is why I pulled it out and placed the warm morning under the plenum. I could actually gut that furnace and wrap that skin around the stove then hook the plenum back to the top of the furnace skin. Possibly even add a gentle blower to move the air through. I know it sounds sketchy. I'd definitely have to watch the plenum and duct temps. For now I'll see what the magic heat does.

fig

Post by fig » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 10:39 am

My Magic Heat is 10" and the pipe is 6" so I bought reducers/increasers. I don't see a problem here but I would like to hear from the guys with the experience. Any problems doing it this way?

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Feb. 20, 2019 11:56 am

I'm having trouble keeping the four flues lit up. I've been having pretty good success reloading. I get it good and hot then throw a few scoops against the back, leaving hot fire in the front. After its about 3/4 full I fill the to an inch from the top. The flues are going good by now but once the fires covered it starts to smolder. Eventually a one or two of the flues go out and the remaining two diminish. Eventually it crusts over then I'll poke that and it just seems to burn through the center . Are the four flues supposed to stay active through out the burn?

fig

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Still waiting for my BD to arrive. Sure could have used it yesterday. Things got a little warm on a reload with those high winds.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 4:25 am

fig wrote:
Wed. Feb. 20, 2019 11:56 am
I'm having trouble keeping the four flues lit up. I've been having pretty good success reloading. I get it good and hot then throw a few scoops against the back, leaving hot fire in the front. After its about 3/4 full I fill the to an inch from the top. The flues are going good by now but once the fires covered it starts to smolder. Eventually a one or two of the flues go out and the remaining two diminish. Eventually it crusts over then I'll poke that and it just seems to burn through the center . Are the four flues supposed to stay active through out the burn?
Yes and no... I don’t think you will always see the four of them lit up at once. I think that will vary with drafting conditions even with the baro.

It sounds like you have a good re-load routine going. Just remember the better you can keep your coke broke open, the more airflow this will allow. Find the threshold though, too much will cause clinker.

fig

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I've cut my reload time from 1 to 1.5 house down to half an hour. I can't spend 3 or more hours a day reloading. I have to load morning noon and night.

I used to add a scoop every ten minutes like the instructions say. Now I just shake, poke, open ash door, get it roaring and dump a 5 gallon bucket in. Let that get roaring and dumps another. Then another. Seems to work pretty good. I did get the top glowing the other night during those high winds. I'm glad I have a good sealed stove because I was able to shut it right down.

And yes that's correct I'm going through 9 five gallon buckets a day. So maybe I'm not doing something right. I sure ain't getting any heat upstairs. Its 56 in my living room. I don't have any pellets and the area is sold out so I picked up 5 gallons of kerosene today. I hate the smell but I'm freezing.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”