Bituminous coal

Rooster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Ky bituminous

Post by Rooster » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Hello all, I decided to use bituminous coal rather than anthracite since its plentiful in these parts. I was wondering if bit coal creates creosote or not?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 7:47 pm

No, only wood makes creosote, bit coal can make soot and or flyash.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:14 pm

bksaun wrote:
Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 7:47 pm
No, only wood makes creosote, bit coal can make soot and or flyash.
Thanks, it eases my mind knowing this. I won't have as much worry from any kind of chimney fire, although I'll still sweep it a couple of times a season.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Depending on the bit coal, soot can clog the stove pipe and possibly the chimney. It will also clog a screened chimney cap, if you have one. A symptom of this will be a loss of draft and/or more smoke rolling out the load door than usual while tending.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:30 pm
Depending on the bit coal, soot can clog the stove pipe and possibly the chimney. It will also clog a screened chimney cap, if you have one. A symptom of this will be a loss of draft and/or more smoke rolling out the load door than usual while tending.
Thanks, I figured as much cause this coal burns somewhat Smokey. I will keep an eye on it. Smoke has rolled out the loading door while tending since day one, I think maybe the baffle causes this but it seems to draft very well.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I am going to be traveling through Eastern KY over Thanksgiving. Where might be a good place to get a couple feed bags of lump bit? I'd like some high volatile stuff for fire pit/basket/fireplace burning to mess around with. I'll be in Wilmore and on over to Louisville/Brandenburg area and then back to PA.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:50 pm

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:17 pm
I am going to be traveling through Eastern KY over Thanksgiving. Where might be a good place to get a couple feed bags of lump bit? I'd like some high volatile stuff for fire pit/basket/fireplace burning to mess around with. I'll be in Wilmore and on over to Louisville/Brandenburg area and then back to PA.
I'm not sure, I purchased 2 tons from NFC coal tipple in Allen Kentucky just of US 23 highway. Maybe someone else will chime in with other locations.

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 6:10 am

I’m not aware of any places selling bit in the towns you mentioned. There are some mines in far eastern KY that you can buy it, but they would be a couple of hours east of the Wilmore/Lexington area.
There is a guy that sells bit up around Bedford KY off of I-71. I think the actual town is ironically called Sulpher. If you’re coming from PA you would likely come 71 to the Louisville area. Byrd Coal Yard is the name of the place. He sells it by the truck/trailer load. If you took a couple of 5gallon buckets with you he would likely let you pick out what you want.
If you are interested, DM me and I can get you his number.

BunkerdCaddis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 6:34 am

KY,
Sometimes we run thru Cincinnati but most often we take the "more scenic route" and use 64, so eastern KY is not out of the way. Looking for a local recommendation on a quality dealer for sure and someone who's willing to deal with a small amount.

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 9:26 am

There was a place in Louisa KY that sold lump bit coal. Louisa is just south of Ashland which you come through on 64.
It has been several years since I was there, but if I remember correctly, it was an aggregate company. Sold sand, crushed stone, etc.
Seems like the name was possibly Big Sandy Stone or something like that. It sits right on the Big Sandy River.
You might check them out. Good luck.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 11:14 am

I live between Wilmore and Louisville, no one in this area sells coal. But I have 40 tons of good Bit stoker that I have burned in a coal grate in an open fireplace before with good results, I have pictures of it on here somewhere.
You are more than welcome to stop by on your way to Louisville and pick up some to take home if you wish, I'm sure I can spare several feed bags full. No Charge!
Last edited by bksaun on Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BunkerdCaddis

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 11:38 pm

bksaun, I'd enjoy the opportunity to make the acquaintance, check your PM's

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”