Bit Coal

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 12:43 pm

20181112_123104.jpg
.JPG | 519KB | 20181112_123104.jpg

I'm late getting Coal this year here In Southwest Virginia. Little over 1 3/4 ton of Eastern Kentucky lump. 2 more loads should do.
Tony

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 2:01 pm

I'd love to get my hands on some of that! Nice size.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 10:08 pm

where did you get it?

Hillbilly
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.

Post by Hillbilly » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 10:06 am

Hills Trucking ; Galax Va.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Hillbilly wrote:
Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 10:06 am
Hills Trucking ; Galax Va.
I still get mine From Norton VA.

Nice load.

jsplott
Hand Fed Coal Stove: researching now

Post by jsplott » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Do you have an analysis on this coal? I like the size. I've been buying mine in Kentucky but galax va is roughly thesame distance away. May I ask what the price per ton is?

Shannon

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 5:14 am

This load has some rock in it. It seems to be hit or miss with the quality. Last year i got 4 ton that was awesome with very little smoke and burned blue, never seen bit burn like that. I pay $125 a ton but, its only 30 min off my route after work. Closer to the Kentucky line it will be cheaper. I could go in to West Va about an hour and half drive and get bit $75 a ton.
Tony

jsplott
Hand Fed Coal Stove: researching now

Post by jsplott » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks..I bought my last load from a place in middlesboro ky... 100/ton. The smaller size burned pretty well but i liked the stove better on the bigger stuff. Stove size I think is what they called it. Gassed off little slower which was good since I had a 6" chimney (too small) ..puff backs can really catch your attention. Lol. The stove size had a lot of streaks of something in it and burned a little cooler but was fine.

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm from southeastern kentucky, hindman kentucky to be exact and I'm needing a supplier of bituminous coal for my blacksmithing business. I have mostly heard blacksmiths refer to it as metallurgical coal, but I'm no expert on anything coal related!! Is there anything within an hour or two of me that would sell me a pickup truck bed full at a time? Or even deliver? Thanks so much.

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 9:51 am

Go to marketplace on Facebook or craigslist in your area and search for Coal. You're in Eastern Ky and bit country you should be able to find Bit Coal easy.
Tony

Deathless_Forge

Post by Deathless_Forge » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Hillbilly wrote:
Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 9:51 am
Go to marketplace on Facebook or craigslist in your area and search for Coal. You're in Eastern Ky and bit country you should be able to find Bit Coal easy.
Tony
I thought so too until I started asking around. People say we only have steam coal or house coal. Idk what either is, but I know it's not metallurgical coal because I tried some of it last week and it was terrible for blacksmithing work. Didnt coke up, and wouldnt bring my metal up to welding temps :(

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 7:57 am

I don’t have any experience using a forge but I know a couple of guys here that do. Both buy their coal in bags at TSC. They use anthracite in their forge.
I do have experience with burning KY lump. Seems to me anthracite would be a better option. But again, I have no experience in that process...

WoodyJohnson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Richmond#36 roundoak
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite, “house” bit
Other Heating: Propane

Post by WoodyJohnson » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Hey guys , I'm new here. Any suggestions where I might find decent bit that I could hand load(shovel or whatever) trouble is, I have a 1 ton van and an enclosed trailer so big loaders present a problem. I'm just a little bit north of Roanoake.

WoodyJohnson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Richmond#36 roundoak
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite, “house” bit
Other Heating: Propane

Post by WoodyJohnson » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Deathless_Forge wrote:
Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 8:46 pm
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm from southeastern kentucky, hindman kentucky to be exact and I'm needing a supplier of bituminous coal for my blacksmithing business. I have mostly heard blacksmiths refer to it as metallurgical coal, but I'm no expert on anything coal related!! Is there anything within an hour or two of me that would sell me a pickup truck bed full at a time? Or even deliver? Thanks so much.
Call me crazy but my solution to that is get yourself a few bags of anthracite and mix with the high vol bit you have. Anthracite is a bitch to keep burning in a forge but will give all the heat you need and then some. The bit will keep the fire alive.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”