Ohio bituminous coke content?

Dieselpowerf350
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hotblast 1557m
Coal Size/Type: All and I want more....lol!
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Dieselpowerf350 » Wed. Jul. 05, 2017 9:30 am

Does anyone know the coke content of ohio bit lump coal? I'm looking to burn some in my hotblast 1557m. I've burned Pittsburgh but coal and it fuses together which is a pain in the butt.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Jul. 05, 2017 11:09 am

As far as Coke value goes I cannot help you there. However any soft coal no matter where it comes from will coke and fuse together, some just a little more so than others.

When doing your firing get in there with a big bar or piece of pipe and bust it up really good before you lay fresh coal in and bank it.

Pittsburgh seam is a high-vol coal, meaning high gas content but more heat as a result. The more air the fire gets and the hotter it burns then that's likely to lead to "clinkers" that won't go down through the grate. I guess the key is to find that happy medium.

If I had to guess at it I would think that your Ohio coal would be high-vol as well just due to location. We have some very nice run-of-mine and stoker size coal at our yard that comes out of Maryland, it is a low-vol coal and therefore does not coke quite as bad.

Perhaps I am not much help answering your question but for what it's worth...

Dieselpowerf350

Post by Dieselpowerf350 » Wed. Jul. 05, 2017 11:42 am

Yes! Much appreciated any help is good. Where is your coal yard located?

Dieselpowerf350

Post by Dieselpowerf350 » Wed. Jul. 05, 2017 11:55 am

Ok, never mind I located it. That's too far for me lol thanks anyway ! I keep hearing about Kentucky bit coal being the best, they say it burns kinda like anthracite, but a little cheaper. I will say I have tried another bit coal and it was lumps like football size and I loaded those in my stove and they didn't fuse together, maybe because they were bigger? I'm gonna try either the ohio or Kentucky bit just haven't decided yet. Hopefully I'll get some more people to chime in. I believe Berlin and kyspeedracer both use those.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Jul. 05, 2017 4:34 pm

No problem Mike

Different seams have different burning properties, and at times the seams can be stacked on top of each other with 50 feet of rock in between. The location can be the same but one seam may be more desirable for house coal. Some people learn to love the high-vol coals for the heat output although it makes more soot and therefore requires a little more maintenance cleaning to keep the flues clean.

My great Uncle operated the dragline for Glessner Coal Co outside of Somerset on what they called the Brush Creek seam. This was nearly legendary for low-vol, easy burning house coal, and our family moved thousands of tons through here in the 60's and 70's. There is supposed to be some left up there in certain places, I wish someone would go get it.

Let us know how you make out!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 8:12 pm

CoalJockey wrote:No problem Mike

Different seams have different burning properties, and at times the seams can be stacked on top of each other with 50 feet of rock in between. The location can be the same but one seam may be more desirable for house coal. Some people learn to love the high-vol coals for the heat output although it makes more soot and therefore requires a little more maintenance cleaning to keep the flues clean.

My great Uncle operated the dragline for Glessner Coal Co outside of Somerset on what they called the Brush Creek seam. This was nearly legendary for low-vol, easy burning house coal, and our family moved thousands of tons through here in the 60's and 70's. There is supposed to be some left up there in certain places, I wish someone would go get it.

Let us know how you make out!
Exactly the oxford reclamation mine in New Lexington has great coal an layer of rock and a layer of crap coal ect.ect. I think one of the good seems is part of the #6 Pittsburgh seem.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Try Searching through the typings and thoughts of Berlin. He's one of the Global Moderators here. He put down a Wealth of Knowledge on the Soft or Bit Coal Types,Burn Characteristics and just about the whole lot. While he shows not having been here since March,I'm hoping he's just tied up,yet very OK. He's Helped and Shared Alot with Folks....

Use the Google Search Bar in the Upper Right Corner,it should help ! Enjoy !

Dieselpowerf350

Post by Dieselpowerf350 » Wed. Jul. 12, 2017 8:15 am

Ok! Thanks for the reminder. I've been wanting to browse his section, but just been too busy. Hopefully everything is ok with him. I'm sure he is out enjoying summer not worrying about coal....yet!!! :lol:

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”