Bit Coal in Latrobe PA

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Does anybody know of any coal yards in or close to Latrobe Pa? I'm making a trip out there this weekend and would like to pick up a load of Bit to burn in my fireplace basket.

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Kingston supply

Rt. 30 east
Latrobe Pa
724-532- 1000

Haven't bought bit in a few years , but this place used to have it. Maybe a phone call , if they don't have it. I'm sure they could tell you who does. Hope that helps :)

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 7:27 am

Ok thanks I'll call them up. I'll post back what I find out....

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 8:30 am

They still have it. 135 a ton for nut lump mix

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 9:19 am

Logs how did that coal burn? High volatiles?

Logs

Post by Logs » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 10:00 am

I got it at least 5 years ago, I would mixed little in with wood. In my garage. Never burned a lot of bit. What I bought , I had no problems with. That's not much of a recommendation, best I could give ya. Hope it helps. They have been selling for years :)

Dave

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Ok well unlike most I hope it is loaded with volatiles for nice flames with open fireplace viewing. I'm going to pick up a half ton as it is within a mile of where I'm going to pick up a piece of equipment. :D

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sat. Mar. 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Here is what the coal looks like at Kingstons today. My bi-fold wallet is for comparison. The pile was called "Pitt Lump". It was a good mix of golf ball to softball size coal with some larger pieces mixed in. 37 bucks for 550 pounds.

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 198KB | image.jpeg
image.jpeg
.JPEG | 97.2KB | image.jpeg

Logs

Post by Logs » Sun. Mar. 05, 2017 5:11 pm

So did you get a chance to try that coal yet? If it's good I may go pick up a half ton to have for next year. :)

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 6:49 pm

I threw 3 softballs in on my anthracite fire. Haven't open burned it yet. It swelled up and fused together but as I understand it that is normal. It seemed to burn long and hot. I whacked it into pieces with my poker. According to the guys at Kingston it has a low sulfur content and people have been happy with it. He says bit is getting harder to find because it's easier for the mines to sell direct to the power plants rather than screen it out for people like us.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Mar. 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Here is a nice picture of my home made coal basket burning the Kingston Supply Lump Bituminous. I have let the coal stove burn out for the year and returned the fireplace to duty.

Attachments

image.png
.PNG | 543.3KB | image.png

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Mar. 30, 2017 10:22 pm

That looks like a heck of a nice coal fire in a fireplace, I would be interested to know more about that homemade coal basket. My pap used to burn bit in his fireplace. He would burn wood through out the day , then at nite he would put coal on to hold the fire over night. He didn't have a coal basket just a regular cast iron grate. Nice fire :P

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Mar. 31, 2017 9:49 pm

I just made the coal basket out of some 2x2 angle for the base and legs. Then plate steel for the sides and back and rebar for the bottom and front grate. I will snap a pic and post back. This coal (I'm pretty clueless for bit) appears to be a high volatile coal. It burns with bright yellow flames for about 2 hours before the flames get smaller. The coal tends to "melt" together. I smash it up with my poker and then big bright yellow flames again :D there seems to be heavy smoke when I dump on fresh and then it clears up to a light gray smoke throughout the burn. I burn all coal or wood and coal, or coal then wood , then coal. Doesn't seem to make a difference as the coal and wood burn great together and great by themselves. I'm very happy with this coal for open burning. I'm not sure how it would burn in a stove. I wish Latrobe was closer to me as I may be making this a habit!!!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 10:09 am

BB, thanks for the posts. This is something I'd like to try also if I ever get out that way to get 1/2 a ton. I think Stardust is another place to get bit but I don't recall anyone else open burning it.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Apr. 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Star Dust is another supplier. Member SWPADon has burned stardust and says it can be lit with only a couple pieces of cardboard. I would think that coal with that much volatiles would be a good open burning coal if you can get some good softball size chunks.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”