Rotting Steel Chimney Pipe - Causes and Remedies.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jul. 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Good idea L, give ya something to do 20 yrs down the road! ;)
lonerinalaska wrote:McGlever - My chimney is not insulated and the design doesn't really lend itself to insulating it. What you said seems logical, but in reality it seems to work the opposite. The top of my chimney, which is obviously outside, had very little wear, whereas the bottom of the stack had the worst corrosion. The stove probably averages 200-300 F throughout the winter, with occasionally hot bursts like in the morning to get the chill out or when we have lots of cardboard or other stuff to get rid of. Here in Alaska, we don't have trash pickup, but rather there are several dumps throughout the borough were people can freely dispose of there thrash. Much to my wife's dismay, I'd rather burn our burnable waste and heat the home, rather than pay for gas to drive to the dump.

brlman07 - Your theory sounds interesting, but the source of the coal is from one of the largest seams in the world. The seam is about 1/4 mile wide and is located under the Cook Inlet on its west side. Stormy weather breaks it loose and it gets washed ashore. I don't have an old beater truck right now, so I pay someone about $125 a truck load (about 1.25 tons). I go thru 5-6 truck loads over about an eight month period. Right now, thanks to tree huggers and the like, the coal cannot be commercially accessed People on the Kenai have been using this source to heat there homes since at least the 1940's.

Freetown Fred - Ya, this new pipe is 1/4". I think the next time I have to replace it, I'm going to use some of the 316Ti flue liner on the inside of the well casing and see what kind of results I get.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me what grade of steel Harman (currently Legacy) uses on there coal stoves? 304/304L, 316/316L, 316Ti, basic run of the mill carbon steel? You'd think the internet could answer this, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”