Bit Coal in a Fireplace...

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Mar. 07, 2022 11:22 am

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 6:05 pm
Nice read for historical value. I did read it all and must say thanks! :)
Again, thanks, it was a nice read none the less. :)
you are welcome
McGiever wrote:
But there have some improvements since this first discovery and no one today trying their hand at wood, soft and hard coal should need to revert back to the very beginning.
Agreed, not my thing, but there are a lot of things I read and read and read, don't fully comprehend unless I try it myself, could be thats what they are up to.
Also, lots of people like open fires.
Where we live at, the house was constructed with a central fireplace, the lot is wooded and overgrown and been burning firewood in the main floor fireplace insert, extended family thinks it is too tedious and messy to ever consider burning wood, which it is messy and time consuming.
Been talking about and began burning coal in a stove in the basement and extended family further thinks I am backwards
their attitude is why bother with stoves when you can just let the furnace do the work.
I suppose I like the experience of burning wood and coal.
McGiever wrote:
Samuel Smyth along with some other fellows made a good business enterprise out of manufacturing and selling a improved version called the Duplex Grate. This was patented in 1879 and his company was the U.S. Duplex Grate Company. His design was a giant leap forward as it better addressed the clogging ash difficulties of earlier simple versions.
Its been a number of years since I read something about Smyth, so I did another search, and found this recently posted webpage about Union Stove and Manufacturing, later renamed Pittston Stove Works.

https://duchessoutlet.com/blogs/news/historic-pit ... e-building

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”