Where Do You Get Your Bituminous Coal and a Going Price?

jstange

Post by jstange » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Talked to the folks at Oxford....... Nice people.....

Now just need to find a hauler that will bring a truck from New Lexington to Mid Michigan. One quote I got was more than the price of the coal by a few hundred $$$'s. Driving 5 hours one way to grab a couple ton at a time doesn't seem practical to me at all.

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 9:30 pm

If you have a 3/4 or 1ton pickup truck,rent a dump trailer in your area and get about 4-5ton.

jstange

Post by jstange » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Easier said than done. I have been looking for weeks, can't find anybody local or even a reasonable distance that rents dump trailers.

Dumpster rental agencies rent them, however they do not authorize their transport by anyone other than them.

hman

Post by hman » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Went on Thursday Oct.25th to Oxford Reclamation in New Lexington,Ohio and picked up 3600lb of lump coal.Tried some in the DS Machine and she likes it as well as Kentucky bit.It doesn't fuse together, no clinkers,not any noticeable more smoke or soot at high burn than the Kentucky coal,and not alot of ash and the ash is very fine,and last a good 12hrs.
My father in law burns it.So I'm going to get another ton for myself to mix it with the Kentucky coal.
We got big chunks and when you split them down,the coal is very shiny on the inside.Very good coal for the price.Nice people to deal with.Phone #1-740-343-0195.Hours M-F 6am-4pm. Some times open on Sat.call first.

hman

Post by hman » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 1:00 pm

jstange wrote:Easier said than done. I have been looking for weeks, can't find anybody local or even a reasonable distance that rents dump trailers.

Dumpster rental agencies rent them, however they do not authorize their transport by anyone other than them.
Is their any equipment rental dealers? Such as Sunbelt Rental,or United Rentals.I work for a rental co.and we got a 7'x12' dump trailer.

gweedow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, nut all so Bit.
Other Heating: Oil

Post by gweedow » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 3:03 pm

As I said some where else in this forum, 35 years ago I replaced a big old coal burner with oil so Ladies would not have to tend the fire while I was away at work. Just a month ago I got a combination oil/coal burner put in. A NEWMAC furnace.
So I picked up a ton of Bituminous coal the other day, 12/14/12 at only 80 dollars a ton. I live in the south western part of Pennsylvania. 48 miles south of Pittsburgh. I got the coal from in Fayette City. Gillespie Coal yard. It was washed coal, about 3/4 to 2 inch. size. Burns great. I can not see buying Anthracite coal at around 256 dollars a ton and is 23 miles away to get. A month ago I paid 255 dollars for 100 gal. of heating oil. The Bituminous I got was only about a 12 minute drive for me to pick up. Hey its not that bad a smoker. Just add the coal the right way and youll be happy. No stink either.

gweedow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, nut all so Bit.
Other Heating: Oil

Post by gweedow » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Richard S. wrote:We have a thread for both of these for anthracite but I'll leave it here for bituminous users. This is kind of like the Mac section on a lot of general computer forums, they have their own little world. :P

For anthracite prices and suppliers use these threads.

Need Coal? Post it here!

Price check...What's the going price in your area?
OOhhh, No. To me Mac is a bad word. In computers for 30 years. Would not even want to look at a mac. Yikes.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 3:39 pm

gweedow wrote:So I picked up a ton of Bituminous coal the other day, 12/14/12 at only 80 dollars a ton. I live in the south western part of Pennsylvania. 48 miles south of Pittsburgh. I got the coal from in Fayette City. Gillespie Coal yard. It was washed coal, about 3/4 to 2 inch. size. Burns great. I can not see buying Anthracite coal at around 256 dollars a ton and is 23 miles away to get.
It's a no-brainer isn't it ;)

newtocoaljon

Post by newtocoaljon » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 8:03 pm

I guess I have three different prices. I can get it from Sunbeam Coal in Salina, UT for $90 a ton delivered in town or I can drive up to Sufco Mine and get it for $64 a ton, and then I've had a couple of the minors say they can bring me a load in their truck for $14 a ton, I haven't asked anyone to get it for me at the cheepest price because I'm afraid they could loose their job since the price is for the employee of the mine and not to resale.

wawrd1
Other Heating: Natures Comfort 325G Outdoor wood/coal boiler

Post by wawrd1 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2012 7:21 am

We picked up a ton of “hand picked” coal from Oxford Recourses in New Lexington Ohio yesterday. The coal seems denser and dryer than last year, very shiny black and hard. Was pleasantly surprised when I loaded some into the boiler yesterday and found the sulfur smell when first fired was a lot less than last years load, smoke was a gray/black instead of the usual gray/yellow. I burn in and outdoor wood/coal boiler and hand pick my coal by loading with a pitch fork. Generally get only coal from orange to basketball size. Price is still $75 per ton. Still dark here this morning, will see what is left in the fire box once the sun comes up. Merry Christmas and stay warm!

wawrd1

Post by wawrd1 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 8:41 am

Up date:
Been burning a mix of this year’s coal and wood and getting great results. 24 hour burns with plenty remaining in the fire box. Coal is burning very clean with little clinkers our bridging. The smell is a lot better this year with only a very mild sulfur odor. Great coal and great price!

jstange

Post by jstange » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 12:48 pm

How's the smoke with your mix of wood and coal?

I got some stuff from the landscape place up here that burns great but smokes so bad the neighbors are throwing fits. Coal I burned in the past wasn't like that.

I have been trying to come up with a way to be able to haul more than a ton of coal from down there up to me, but to date, no solutions.

wawrd1

Post by wawrd1 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 2:32 pm

jstange wrote:How's the smoke with your mix of wood and coal?

I got some stuff from the landscape place up here that burns great but smokes so bad the neighbors are throwing fits. Coal I burned in the past wasn't like that.

I have been trying to come up with a way to be able to haul more than a ton of coal from down there up to me, but to date, no solutions.
When a new load is fired the first time I get a gray/black plume during most of the cycle. After that it subsides considerably, by the 3rd cycle it resembles an all wood load. My closest neighbors are about1/4 mile away. Lots of boilers in a 5 mile radius of me. If smoke is a problem; load coal late at night, most won’t see it so it's doesn’t exist. If your neighbors are right on top of you the wood load only could draw complaints. How long have you been burning?

jstange

Post by jstange » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 2:42 pm

I have been burning 5 years, this is 6th season.

They are used to wood, hate the coal smell so complain about smoke.

wawrd1

Post by wawrd1 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 3:07 pm

You may do better with an anthracite coal and wood mix but your wallet will complain in Michigan! Anthracite does not have the sulfur smell but will be big $$$$$$ !

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”