Where Do You Get Your Bituminous Coal and a Going Price?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Just picked up 1500lbs of pea stoker today, I burn it in my fireplace.

$90.00 a ton

Premium Processing
255 Mack ave
Middlesboro, Ky
606-248-2215

goblin79

Post by goblin79 » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 1:35 pm

leeco coal in jeff ky went up to 115 a ton teh frist of the year theres a 25 ton break it drops it down to 100 a ton

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Knight Hawk Coal, LLC
(618) 426-3662 - ask for Jeannie
http://www.knighthawkcoal.com

Creek Paum mine:
Coal is recovered from the Murphysboro seam.
The coal burns at 11,800 BTUs and contains 1.3 percent sulfur and 5.5 percent ash.

Stoker $80/ton

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Tue. Jan. 25, 2011 11:58 pm

hman wrote:Got 2200lbs of Kentucky bit from S.M.J Inc. Wrigley,Kentucky at highway Jct 7&711 35 miles south of Grayson for 95.00 a ton no tax, hand picked or they will load,lump coal also have stoker.Hours are 8-4 M-F and 8-12 on Sat. Telephone #1-606-743-7111.The coal they sell comes out of Magoffin County..
Been getting my coal there for a few years now. Good stuff burns real good.

catpowrd

Post by catpowrd » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 9:27 am

europachris, I saw your post about coal from Knight Hawk. I am up in central Wisconsin and I am looking for some place I can take a semi and get a load of good bit, maybe 2 or 3 loads a year if I can sell some up here. Does Knight Hawk have good stoker coal and would they be good to deal with on getting a semi load from.
Anyone else have any idea on what direction from central Wisconsin I could head with a semi for good coal. Knight Hawk is about 500 miles. I read there is coal in western Minn but that is almost as far.

ron138

Post by ron138 » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't know about Knighthawk, but all the IL coal I've burned so far was so full of iron, you could see the rust in it and pyrite. It would clinker up really bad. My stove doesn't handle them very well. Something to keep in mind.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Unless you have a stoker or have a large firebox to keep fuelbed temps low (you can almost smolder the fire) or you have documented AFT from the mine, I would avoid Illinois coal when you could send a semi west and pick up better (although lower btu) coal. When you decide to get a truckload of coal, if you want to hand-fire it, check two things - get the Highest AFT available and the lowest coke button available: below 2 is ideal, under 4 is ok. Knighthawk coal has a few mines and they may be able to point you to some stoker that has both a high aft and a very low coke button or FSI. You don't want to handfire the particular coal europachirs is using because it's a coking coal with a high cokebutton which means as the coal is burning in your hand-fired stove it will melt and fuse together (not to be confused with a clinker, that's related to the AFT and not the same thing).

note specs on a few selected coals in this table: http://www.et.byu.edu/~larryb/Ash%20Fusion%20Temp ... res_1.html (take a look at eastern KY coal in that table BTW)

catpowrd

Post by catpowrd » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 5:46 pm

OK I understand the fusion temp is low on IL coal making it hard to burn unless you can feed it slow like a stoker. If I want to try and sell some to help pay the diesel fuel bill I should find something user friendly. So the coal to my west like South Dakota or going to Kentucky might be better.
How about the coal from Phoenixcoal.com near Tulsa OK. I get past there with an empty trailer about once every two or three years, is that worth bringing home.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 5:59 pm

the phoenix stoker coal looks pretty decent, but you'd have to find out the "coke button" before buying to use in a hand-fired stove. Ideally (especially if you want to sell some) you'll go to eastern KY and pick up some high btu, low coke button, low ash LUMP coal; you'll love it and the people that buy it from you will as well.

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 9:46 pm

ron138 wrote:I don't know about Knighthawk, but all the IL coal I've burned so far was so full of iron, you could see the rust in it and pyrite. It would clinker up really bad. My stove doesn't handle them very well. Something to keep in mind.
That was my experience with the Indiana coal we burned when I was a kid - full of pyrite and actually had yellow sulfur on it.

Conversely, this coal I'm burning now from Knight Hawk is beautiful. Not quite as shiny as anthracite pea or nut, but pure black, clean and not messy to handle, i.e. it doesn't turn everything that touches it black. However, this coal is the exception, not the norm. These low sulfur, low ash coals were formed in limited areas where the peat deposits were not overlain with marine sediments - i.e. a river through the swamp covered the peat with fresh water silts first before seawater covered the area. Most of these low sulfur deposits have long been mined-out.

My coal does tend to coke and "agglutinate" quite a bit, but seems to lessen as the coal weathers - it's worst in freshly mined coal. But it doesn't clinker very readily, so would likely work well in a hand fed stove (and your coal would work better in a stoker)

Chris

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Berlin wrote: Knighthawk coal has a few mines and they may be able to point you to some stoker that has both a high aft and a very low coke button or FSI. You don't want to handfire the particular coal europachirs is using because it's a coking coal with a high cokebutton which means as the coal is burning in your hand-fired stove it will melt and fuse together (not to be confused with a clinker, that's related to the AFT and not the same thing).
I've not found much analysis data on the Murphysboro seam, but I did find two FSI values of 6 and 7.5.

If you have some free time :lol: dig around here:
<dead link removed>
. It is a treasure trove of information of every imaginable topic regarding coal, including a series of 4 articles on stoker tests of various coals and preparation methods thereof.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 2:30 pm

a "ton" isn't that much coal. Most people won't even bother with you unless it's for a few ton. no one will ship you 100lbs of coal for a decent price, people just won't bother. you're probably looking a couple hundred dollars just to ship (via ups, fedex) and an additional charge for the person to screw around boxing up and handling the coal. If someone locally sells coal, go out and buy a ton, if it's bad coal, you've learned and managed to procure yourself some fill or garden mulch (coal makes great mulch).

flytesurfer

Post by flytesurfer » Thu. Aug. 11, 2011 1:20 am

My first post here, and am grateful to have located these comments. I am hoping to locate anthracite to burn this winter (verses wood, which I need to load in the stove every 6-7 hours). With the snow last year, I spent a lot of time hauling wood, and the house was cold by the time I returned home at night. Although I live in Oregon, and there is little coal here, I am hoping that someone may know of how I might either locate coal, or ship (rail?) it out this way. I'm more hopeful of home heating with coal, since it will burn longer without loading the stove and will also be warmer.

If anyone can give me any information, I would sure appreciate the help.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Aug. 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Berlin wrote: no one will ship you 100lbs of coal for a decent price, people just won't bother. you're probably looking a couple hundred dollars just to ship (via ups, fedex) and an additional charge for the person to screw around boxing up and handling the coal.
Not Bituminous, but this old Post of mine will give you a laugh. Coal from a vending machine!

Edit (forgot to ad the link)! Click on it for the whole story.

Coal Vending Machine!

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Thu. Aug. 11, 2011 8:20 pm

flytesurfer wrote: I am hoping to locate anthracite to burn this winter
It wouldn't be cost effective to ship anthracite from Pennsylvania to Oregon.

Member mslisaj lives in Oregon and might have information for bituminous coal suppliers near you. She hasn't been on here in a while but if you send a PM (private message) she might get an email and respond.
The only other suggestion I have is to check with local blacksmiths, they might know of some local sources for coal.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”