Consistency of Bituminous Ash

plumb-r

Post by plumb-r » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Can someone tell me what the consistency of bit ash is. Is it lumpy like anthracite ash or closer to that of wood ash? :gee:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 9:28 pm

plumb-r wrote:Can someone tell me what the consistency of bit ash is. Is it lumpy like anthracite ash or closer to that of wood ash? :gee:
That will depend on the type of bit coal being burned. The high volatility bit I was burning was not only lumpy, but looked like melted metal with jagged edges. This low volatility coal I'm burning now is fairly fine, but has lots of lumps also. I'm also getting twice the amount of ash with the new coal also.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 12:07 am

It depends on the coal, the AFT, the appliance (stoker or hand-fired), reducing or oxidizing atmosphere, and how hot it's being fired.

The same coal fired in a stoker will produce crunchy clinkers but will produce nothing but baby powder ash in my hand-fired. In high excess air settings in my stoker the same coal will produce bright red iron clinker and red ash, but in minimal excess air settings will produce black iron clinker with grey ash.

Some high AFT low ash coals such as many found in eastern KY will produce a white ash with little to no shale or iron - it will look like wood ash in a hand-fired.

Basically, your question only has an answer if we know the type of coal and the appliance -even then it varries.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”