Broad Top Coal

jhmohler852

Post by jhmohler852 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 11:14 am

From these photos it looks like whatever seam this coal originated in has a lot of iron oxide, at least Im guessing that's what the dark-yellow discolorations are. I thought broad top coal had very little impurities. Which seam was this mined from? And do you recommend this ROM coal for a steam locomotive?

jhmohler852

Post by jhmohler852 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 5:24 pm

My replies don't seem to be getting posted on here, is there something I'm doing wrong?

jhmohler852

Post by jhmohler852 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Some of the photos on here look very dirty, and there is clearly some iron oxide in the one lump on the back of the pickup truck. Is this coal able to be burned in a steam locomotive?

Bob Mohler

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 6:12 pm

They used it in coal fired power plants J, not something I'd be interessted in though. :) You're comin through post wise J. Just not much activity in this topic.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 6:16 pm

This is the slow season. Replies will take longer than usual.

Not sure want you want. High vol high coke, medium vol, low vol, rejects??

Maybe look farther North or South West??

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Fri. Nov. 20, 2020 11:21 pm

jhmohler852 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 5:26 pm
Some of the photos on here look very dirty, and there is clearly some iron oxide in the one lump on the back of the pickup truck. Is this coal able to be burned in a steam locomotive?

Bob Mohler
Bob -

It’s been a few years since I posted this thread. This particular operation was just to the southeast of Robertsdale, PA. The guy was leasing the land from the local hunters/anglers club and paying them royalties on the coal mined. It was Paul Ferlitch of Ferlitch Construction Co. I have tried to get in touch with him in recent years to no avail.

I am not sure what seam it was from, but the coal was being stripped fairly close to the surface. I don’t think he was going down more than maybe 30-40 feet at the most.

I have no idea what ideal properties are for burning coal in a steam locomotive. If you need lots of heat, I’d suggest trying the coal from Valier’s Coal Yard. Throwing that stuff on top of an established coal fire is almost like throwing oil soaked rags into your stove. I like to burn some every now and then, makes the outdoors near my home smell like an old railyard 😁

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 7:36 am

LDPosse wrote:
Fri. Nov. 20, 2020 11:21 pm
Bob -

It’s been a few years since I posted this thread. This particular operation was just to the southeast of Robertsdale, PA. The guy was leasing the land from the local hunters/anglers club and paying them royalties on the coal mined. It was Paul Ferlitch of Ferlitch Construction Co. I have tried to get in touch with him in recent years to no avail.

I am not sure what seam it was from, but the coal was being stripped fairly close to the surface. I don’t think he was going down more than maybe 30-40 feet at the most.

I have no idea what ideal properties are for burning coal in a steam locomotive. If you need lots of heat, I’d suggest trying the coal from Valier’s Coal Yard. Throwing that stuff on top of an established coal fire is almost like throwing oil soaked rags into your stove. I like to burn some every now and then, makes the outdoors near my home smell like an old railyard 😁
Ferlitch is all stripped out, the last I knew, have not seen nor heard from him for years. He was from the Houtzdale area I think. As far as I know, Sovonovec is the only coal strip on the mountain right now and I’m sure you know they are working back between Wood and Robertsdale.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”