Pricing

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 8:33 am

Its rare, but some bituminous will have higher BTUs than anthracite.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 10:17 am

Many bituminous coals have more BTU's than anthracite,especially the southern West Virginia coals.

The Sewell and Pocahontus coals top 15,000 BTU's per #.

They have different burning traits because of the volitiles they contain,and require techniques

different from anthracite.They need air (heated) above the fire to get maximum heat energy

from the fuel.Also the layer of coal is spread thin and not a thick bed like anthracite likes.

Many of these coal have ash of less than 5% ,some as low as 1%,usually they are deep mined

in seam of coal very thick 100+ inches.

Ted BigBarney

onehotxfirefighter

Post by onehotxfirefighter » Mon. Jul. 07, 2008 9:57 pm

OK guys trying to get my head around these weights. 1 US ton is equivalent to 907 KG is that correct?.I buy my coal in 50KG sacks delivered to my home .The cheapest I can get is £6 per bag approximately $12 per bag . So it works out at $217 per US Ton is that correct.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jul. 07, 2008 11:03 pm

I came up with $218 a ton. Who moves those sacks for you? Those puppies are heavy!

That price is similar to the cost of anthracite here, but isn't the coal in the UK more of a bituminous variety? That could run as low as $60 a ton near it's source here in the states.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 2:22 pm

One kg. is equal to 2.2046lbs.One metric ton equals 2204.6 lbs. :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Make sure you're using the right weights for ton, there are two weights that can be used for ton. Theres the "short ton" and the "long ton". A short ton is 2000lbs. and is used for coal and just about any other other product bought in bulk in the U.S. Simply put its easy to add. :D The long ton is 2240lbs.

JanewaysGirl

Post by JanewaysGirl » Sun. Jul. 13, 2008 3:12 pm

If anyone has anymore supplier info for the midwest, I'd be much obliged! I'll take anything west of the Mississippi.

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 8:36 am

Lazza wrote:That's the thing- I'm a total newbie at this. I bought 500 pounds of cannel coal from a dealer in Patterson NJ (I lived back East then) before Y2K to burn in my fireplace (w decent sealing glass doors) as an adjunct to wood. I crafted a grate with metal rods and hardware cloth, and it worked well. Despite complaints from the neighbors because of the smell, it really improved the fire and put out some heat.

I'm back in Illinois, and I am looking for an economical way to heat my deer camp, and, if that works, to put in a coal stove in my house here in the suburbs of Chicago. I have a (cheap) Vogelsang boxwood stove, burning a mix of wood and Bit until I get my firecraft up to speed. I am currently looking around for a bargain coal stove, but am not having any luck around here.

That's the long story. Napanee-- how much do they want for anthracite? Thanks, in advance for any tips, you guys.
I havent seen cannel coal for sale in years,where would one look if they were interested in purchasing some?

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 11:23 am

I havent seen cannel coal for sale in years,where would one look if they were interested in purchasing some?
Western Pa.

New Hope Engineer

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 6:18 pm

I live in the lehigh valley anyone know of any dealers in the area that carry cannel coal?

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Now that's funny!
You're in eastern Pa looking for bit coal and I am in western Pa looking for anthracite coal.

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Aug. 28, 2008 8:27 pm

New Hope Engineer wrote:I live in the lehigh valley anyone know of any dealers in the area that carry cannel coal?
Mark, there is a coal yard in Mechanicsburg just west of Harrisburg that sells cannel coal. However it was more expensive than their anthracite. :( nothing saves a dying fire like cannel coal. throw a few lumps in and within a few minites you'll have a roaring fire :D p.s. you also will see more smoke than 10 shovelfulls into the boiler while going downhill with no throttle. Thanks for the ride sunday it was awesome!! :clap: :up:

New Hope Engineer

Post by New Hope Engineer » Fri. Aug. 29, 2008 7:38 am

Hey no problem,glad you enjoyed it.Sorry I didnt have more time to chat,but they run a tight schedule there.I only have 15 min between runs.Thanks for the info about the cannel coal but mechanicsburg is a little too far for me.I'll just grab some Bit from the railroad as back up. :D
Mark

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Fri. Aug. 29, 2008 6:16 pm

The tides, time, and railroads wait for no one... I fully understand. :) A hobby of mine is to find coal from different places and burn it. If I find some cannel coal I will get some extra and let you know :lol: Rich

New Hope Engineer

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I was out riding around tamaqua this weekend and found some fossils in one of the piles of stuff I came across.
I don't get a chance too often to go out exploring but I thought it was pretty neat.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”