Clean Bituminous

rayespo

Post by rayespo » Tue. Nov. 30, 2010 8:42 am

In the western Pa. area, where does some of the cleanest -that is burns clean- coal come from?

MoBe
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 130, Stokol Stoker, Gentleman Janitor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: American Standard, National, Burnham, US National

Post by MoBe » Sat. Dec. 04, 2010 8:56 pm

I know from expericence that Somerset coal burns pretty clean, you can burn a fair amount before your flue passages need cleaned, I have never burned "Bender" coal from the Chest Springs area or coal from Madera, Pa. however I have heard good things about it...

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Mon. Dec. 13, 2010 6:53 pm

I have burned Somerset coal it burns good but clinkers easily.

MoBe
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 130, Stokol Stoker, Gentleman Janitor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: American Standard, National, Burnham, US National

Post by MoBe » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Buddy my father in law was talking with a friend of his that is a coal broker... He said that for house coal (BIT) Fieg Bros Coal Tipple
215 Station Hill Road, Berlin - (814) 267-4926 has the best coal in the area right now... They are not open on Saturday, and kind of odd to deal with but I have burned a tri axle load of their coal 2 years ago and it was very good coal...

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 10:05 pm

One of the biggest factors in getting a high vol bit or any bit coal to burn with a light grey haze instead of a big black cloud is finding the largest size you can. softball and larger starts to make a difference.

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Sat. Jan. 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Berlin wrote:One of the biggest factors in getting a high vol bit or any bit coal to burn with a light grey haze instead of a big black cloud is finding the largest size you can. softball and larger starts to make a difference.
What is a good way of cutting down smoke. This Valier coal I got, smokes more than anything I have ever burned before. I give it plenty of top air, and little bottom for about 2 hrs. before closing the damper and turning up the bottom air. 2 hrs. is too long to wait for the volatiles to burn off. Any suggestions?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Jan. 01, 2011 1:29 pm

move to the countryside and let it smoke :D

Yes, the valier coal is smokey, but it's good coal with pretty good burning characteristics and a very good price. Try banking it a bit perhaps to lessen the smoke, other than that, preheated secondary air, loading a few pieces at a time or just dealing with the fact that it likes to smoke are probably your only options. It's been my experience that some stoves tend to burn this coal much better than others.

I'm surprised that it seems to smoke more for you than Thompson bros ohio coal; I've always found that coal to be particularly sulfurous and gassy.

europachris

Post by europachris » Sat. Jan. 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Berlin wrote: I've always found that coal to be particularly sulfurous and gassy.
Sounds like me after a night of beer drinking and eating deviled eggs.... :sick: :blowup: :oops:

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Sat. Jan. 01, 2011 5:12 pm

europachris wrote:
Berlin wrote: I've always found that coal to be particularly sulfurous and gassy.
Sounds like me after a night of beer drinking and eating deviled eggs.... :sick: :blowup: :oops:
:rofl: :hammer: It does have decent burn characteristics. It just smokes a lot.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”