Has Anyone Burned Bitumus Coal.

colt

Post by colt » Tue. Nov. 16, 2010 3:06 pm

I found a guy with 100 tons of Bitumus coal has anyone had an experience with This type of coal.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Nov. 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I have some ;) experience. where are you located? Did this "guy" tell you where his coal is from, size, etc.? Knowing about the coal will help us give you a reccomendation.

colt

Post by colt » Tue. Nov. 16, 2010 5:52 pm

I,m in Silverwood Mi the seller is in Sandusky Ohio and the only information that I can get about the coal is the size dime to quarter size.The coal was sold to his Dad by Cedar Point Amuesment Park and it's the slop left over from the train.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Nov. 16, 2010 6:04 pm

well, if you're able to, Definitely go try it, it's likely decent quality stoker coal because of it's history as a fuel for a steam engine. I think the size is a bit smaller than what you'd find ideal, but it may work ok in your stove, just remember to "bank" it fire one side of the fuel bed thick and then fill the opposite valley on the next firing with coal of that small size. Bituminous is not like anthracite and the same size requirements and "rules" etc. don't apply. Lump size bituminous coal works best in almost any hand fired situation even though it's such a large size. there is a place near you that sells excellent (eastern KY bit coal is the best) Kentucky lump or "chunk" coal: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=U ... 8395396225

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Nov. 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Colt.
You are the guy who bought the Quaker No 8 Base Heater from the Antique Stove Hospital. I've been waiting to see some detailed photos of this stove in the Handfired section. The coal you are referring to is stoker coal. It is way too small to work in your stove. It will fall right through the grates. Don't waste your time with it. Berlin is right. Lump Bituminous will work fine in that stove, but; it will burn a lot different than Anthracite.
If you get Anthracite, you need to get Stove Size. You have a very large grate area and fire pot on that stove and so your stove needs a larger size coal, regardless; of what type it is.

You should post the information on the Handfired Section also. A lot more people will see it there and comment.

colt

Post by colt » Wed. Nov. 17, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm the person that purchased the Quaker # 8 and your correct that the size of this Bit coal is to small.I'm going to call Cameron's and pick up stove size anthracite to burn.
Colt

jstange

Post by jstange » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Trying to revive this topic.

Live in Mid Michigan, burn Bit Coal in the outdoor boiler and can't get enough of it. It sure beats cutting and splitting wood!

Anyone else burn it and have a good supplier or want to go in on a few tons?

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 7:44 pm

jstange wrote:Live in Mid Michigan, burn Bit Coal in the outdoor boiler and can't get enough of it. It sure beats cutting and splitting wood!

Anyone else burn it and have a good supplier or want to go in on a few tons?
You can get anthracite coal at a really good price (at least in my opinion) from KW Feeds in Farwell, MI, just a couple miles west of Clare. That isn't frightfully far away from you. Ken Warner, the owner, doesn't stock bit coal, but he does a great job supplying anthracite. You may want to give him a call.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”