Average Usage Per Day

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 10:00 pm

David, any underfeed bituminous stoker, if operated properly and supplied with proper heat reflection in the firebox, can reach 85% combustion efficiency. Efficiency losses from handfiring bituminous coal are not significantly different from losses with anthracite; instead of wasting hydrocarbons as visable smoke, you're wasting carbon as CO. In a large hand-fired appliance where the fire is constantly burning especially low, with bituminous coal sooting of the heat exchanger you will lose heat transfer efficiency (that's not combustion efficiency losses, but overall efficiency), but in a stoker properly tuned, or in a hand-fired appliance that's not significantly oversized, you will get very little if any soot buildup on the heat exchange surfaces. In fact, anthracite coal generally requires a higher percentage of excess air to achieve complete combustion, and in tests on both inclined bed or underfeed stokers bituminous coals consistantly achieve better combustion efficiencies.

caper1175

Post by caper1175 » Fri. Jan. 07, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm not exactly sure about the weight, but I average 4- 5 five gallon buckets per 24/hr period. I would estimate each bucket weighs 30-40lbs. I'm heating ~1800sq/ft house, and a 672sq/ft detached garage.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Sat. Jan. 08, 2011 1:43 am

Using about 40# per day here keeping house 70' days and 68' nights. I may be using a bit less but not much this year vs. past years after replacing windows and insulating, but the heat in the house is much more even now. Still have to insulate one wall in the kitchen and some more in the attic. Can't do the last wall in the kitchen until I come up with the $$ to replace the cabinets as they are built in and will be destroyed taking them out.

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Sat. Jan. 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Comparing usage can be done with this link.
So You Want to Compare Coal Usage.
Not as popular a system as I had thought

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”