The Smell...

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Fri. Mar. 12, 2010 8:17 am

Who all here loves the smell of Bit coal? And what does your grade of coal smell like. I know the smell is delightful but if its all in my face when Im outside trying to work I tend to get a headache. But I figure my brain just cant take so much goodness at once and it gives me an instant hangover for not being inside tending to the fire. I guess that's a sign for me to stay inside and let my neighbors choke. I love the smell, just not in my face, how about you guys?

markc

Post by markc » Fri. Mar. 12, 2010 8:47 am

i kinda like the smell myself not quite as much as you I don't think,you might need to get some rehab help if you spend to much time at home sniffing coal smoke,try to get out on the town more and maybe find a woman that smell will break you of wanting to sit by the stove with the door open,if you need help contact 1-800-jerry springer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Mar. 14, 2010 9:58 pm

I really like the smell of bituminous coal smoke. I find that when (in a hand-fired) first loaded it tends to have a stronger smell that is pleasing in small doses, when burning well for a few minuites and producing light black smoke the smell is much less noticable and a different, it's a bit "spicier". In a stoker, the only time I can notice any smell outside is when it's warm outside and it's just idling along. mabey i'm crazy, but I really do like the smell of bit coal smoke in the air, it reminds me of the UK and eastern europe; it seems much more tolerable than woodsmoke, it takes a MUCH higher concentration of coal-smoke before it bothers my eyes or throat, and the smell doesn't cling to you like woodsmoke does. Good bituminous coal smoke reminds me of a good islay single malt, anthracite reminds me of loch dhu.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sun. Mar. 14, 2010 10:57 pm

The first time I remember smelling bit was at the Mystic Seaport. They use it at the forge and in their steam boat Sabino. They are burning coal here and there around the museum along with wood at the building where they have live demonstrations of hearth cooking in a fireplace with a beehive but I digress. I'm not sure if they burn bit exclusively or not. I find the smell of bit pleasant. I like wood smoke too but not so concentrated as to make my eyes burn.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 7:57 am

Damn guys,I like the smell of gas,but I try not to over-indulge :blowup:

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 12:43 pm

freetown fred wrote:Damn guys,I like the smell of gas,but I try not to over-indulge :blowup:
Hey Fred, What type of gas are you talking about?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 1:21 pm

my own personal,of course :D :blowup: :junmp:

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 4:54 pm

:doh: :doh:
freetown fred wrote:my own personal,of course :D :blowup: :junmp:

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Fri. Mar. 19, 2010 7:48 am

Whew!... Man where have I been. Ever since we've had all these warm temps I haven't been able to burn, and yet it seems like my head is clearing. My house seems bigger and that damn dragon lying on the floor finally decided to leave. And yet there seems to be a black residue on everything. And much to my surprise my house has only one door, im guessing that door to the bathroom was why I thought it was a wet winter. Man I cant wait to burn some bit next year, this place just ain't as fun without it. :bighug:

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Fri. Mar. 19, 2010 1:24 pm

Your scarin me man! I think you spent to much time alone in the dark this winter.
valley trash wrote:Whew!... Man where have I been. Ever since we've had all these warm temps I haven't been able to burn, and yet it seems like my head is clearing. My house seems bigger and that damn dragon lying on the floor finally decided to leave. And yet there seems to be a black residue on everything. And much to my surprise my house has only one door, im guessing that door to the bathroom was why I thought it was a wet winter. Man I cant wait to burn some bit next year, this place just ain't as fun without it. :bighug:

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Fri. Mar. 19, 2010 2:34 pm

I was in China in late 1999 in the city of Kumming (the terminus of the old Burma road). The air there had a pronounced odor that I thought was diesel exhaust but upon reflection was probably bituminous coal burning. In Kumming the temperature is always cool but never cold since it is in the south of the country and over 2,000 meters (about 6,600 feet)above sea level. A lot of the buildings have windows missing their glass and none of the public buildings are heated. This was probably for electrical power rather than heat.

I don't think I'd want to live there. The air was pretty bad in 1999 and I'm sure it has gotten worse since then.

Josh H

Post by Josh H » Wed. Mar. 24, 2010 10:08 pm

It smells like FREEDOM. I do however plan my load timing to when we won't be outside for an hour or so, after the initial burn off, it varies from not bad to no smell.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Fri. Mar. 26, 2010 8:28 am

Josh H wrote:It smells like FREEDOM. I do however plan my load timing to when we won't be outside for an hour or so, after the initial burn off, it varies from not bad to no smell.

FREEDOM! Hells yea man. I always get smile when I smell some bit burning because I know everyone else is sucking up that nat gas and paying dearly for it. Besides I love to be in control of my heating means and not plugged into a gas line and be at the mercy of the gas company.

danzig

Post by danzig » Thu. May. 13, 2010 10:24 am

I like it too guys. Redstone, and Freeport coal here. got to love it

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Thu. May. 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I have basement anthracite coal. It sat in a 1800's era house basement probably since the early sixties. Sometimes I get the smell of burning mouse hair when I toss in a little shovel full onto an established fire. I try to shut the door quick. But when it's burned off I savor the sulfur smell, the coal gas, it's great.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”