The Smell...

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Ok... Well this is reviving an old topic... But yes!! The smell of FREEDOM!!! The smell of high vol bit in a hand fired can be a bit (haha) overwhelming, but the aroma of some low vol bit is great!

For those of us with interior, unlined chimneys, there is the added bonus of increased stack temps... Which means more heat to the 2nd story in my case.... A 110-120°F wall of masonry kicks out ALOT of heat!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 10:36 am

A few years back forum member Dungeon Master brought me a bag of PA bitty he got off he side of the highway. Smelled great! My kind of fire. :D

Attachments

Coal, bitty smoke 2.JPG
.JPG | 62.2KB | Coal, bitty smoke 2.JPG

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 6:53 pm

SMITTY wrote:A few years back forum member Dungeon Master brought me a bag of PA bitty he got off he side of the highway. Smelled great! My kind of fire. :D
Smitty,...stop! You are gonna make me go get some cannel coal out and turn my nice new painted stove pipe red and stink up the neighborhood!

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 7:46 pm

freetown fred wrote:my own personal,of course :D :blowup:
Fat Bastard said it best, Everyone likes the smell of their own brand!!! toothy Beyonce in that scene is HOT!!!!

I just got another pickup load of Thompson Bros. Bit so I can piss off my neighbor!!!! Like the smell of a fresh load of bit when it smokes yellowish before it gets burning well!!!

Hey John, ya want some more bit for your Mark III. I can go up 395 and bring you both some!!! Just break out the suds!!! :cheers:

Like the puma on Bugs Bunny said You better give me a lot of lumps, a whole lot of lumps!!! ;)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Always plenty of suds here Rich! :D ;)

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Thu. Dec. 05, 2013 11:21 am

I love the smell also! I have an Antracite stove, but mix Bit into it just to get the smell.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Thu. Dec. 05, 2013 12:14 pm

oros35 wrote:I love the smell also! I have an Antracite stove, but mix Bit into it just to get the smell.
I'm feeling tempted to toss in this lump of Valier's coal I got sitting on the desk! :D

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 5:10 am

not to kick a dead horse, but i get western pa bit, really trash kind from my place of employment, and i use it when in tight pinches between anthracite loads. but god damn i love that smell :baby: :baby: :baby:

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 8:36 pm

I like it, but I also like the smell the exhaust from a well tuned Diesel engine.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 8:56 pm

The smells of power. Bit, diesel, and coffee fumes.

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 12:17 pm

UPS delivery guy asked me one time 'what is that smell, what am I burning?' Just some Bit with some wood ontop. Has a unique smell different from straight Bit. He said it smelled like fireworks! He nailed it! That is what it smelled like.

I enjoy a good bit smell, but it's not always the same. If there is no wind and it lingers my whole house and property can smell like a big fart. Fresh hot burning bit smells great though.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 9:31 pm

Bit smells good to me because it brings back a lot of good memories growing up and visiting relatives that lived in eastern Kentucky, but to say it smells good just because it smells good...ha ha... NO!!!

Diesel...huh uh...not that either, although I like the smell around tractor pull time.

Old regular gasoline had a unique smell of its own...

...but coffee smell I can agree with. Nothing smells as good as coffee...

...except fresh ground coffee. LOL!!!

Edit:
Only thing that smells as good as fresh ground coffee is wood stove chocked full of hickory and the smell of a very large pork chop or porterhouse.

RedDevil
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Yes
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yes

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 8:56 pm

Nothing can imitate the smell of western bit coal fire. Stronger and more acrid than eastern or British bit. Smelled and saw it from chimneys around town. Especially from the big, fancy red brick stack of the local school. A slight odor always pervaded the rooms and halls of the school along with the hot steam from the radiators. Loved it. Always chase it when I smell it. Anthracite stinks like a wet dog. Ugh.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 4:50 am

cokehead wrote:
Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 12:43 pm
Hey Fred, What type of gas are you talking about?
I have heard the term "Smart Fellar", but never thought someone wanted to be called "Fart Smeller" :D

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 5:03 am

mntbugy wrote:
Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 8:56 pm
The smells of power. Bit, diesel, and coffee fumes.
Happy thoughts for me for sure:

I never felt so much power in my life, being out in Wyoming, 15,000 tons of Wyoming Powder River Coal behind me, eight units MU-ed together for a combined 48,000 horsepower, and then hearing those turbochargers wind up when I dropped the locomotive into the eighth notch and released the brakes....

I might be sitting on a tractor that weighed close to half a million pounds, but so much power would just lurch that locomotive right up and down as so much power tried to get so much weight, moving.

Skidders and locomotives were the only two things I ever drove where I could FEEL raw horsepower.

This photo was taken just outside of Black Thunder Mine in Wright, Wyoming.
SD 90 Head On.JPG
.JPG | 486.5KB | SD 90 Head On.JPG

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”