Bit Coal for Steam Locomotive

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Thu. Dec. 24, 2009 9:43 am

this little engine runs on hard coal

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Sun. Aug. 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Berlin wrote:what is the name of the mine? Mark at Valier coalyard supplies coal to loco's all over the country. give him a call, tell him your issues and I'm sure he'll be able to sell you coal that won't do any of those things. http://www.valiercoalyard.com/contacts.html
i believe this is the place we are currently getting coal from. we have been dealing through a broker and not directly with the mine. I am looking for 2x5 or 3x5, basicly about the size of your fist.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Aug. 08, 2010 11:52 pm

valier coalyard blends coal from their mines and other mining operations depending on the customers requirements. They have access to excellent quality western pa bituminous coal, and supply some of the best high volitile western pa coal available for home heating - yes, it's high volitile, but it doesn't clinker easily and has an acceptable coke button to prevent excessive firebox coke production (commonly referred to on this site as "bridging"). I would be surprised to find that you are having issues with valier coal, however there a few possiblities: 1. the fireman isn't firing the boiler properly; 2. incorrect coal supplied by the broker ; 3. Incorrect coal specs ordered. I would highly suggest contacting mark at valier coalyard directly and having a discussion with him about the issues that you're having and ask what coal or coal blends that he supplies that would be least likely to create those issues. Mark is a pretty good guy to deal with and he's been running the coalyard most of his life, I'm sure he'll be able to help you - tell him steve from buffalo sent you; then when you have some information, talk to the individual responsible for buying your coal.

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 1:50 am

SMITTY wrote:The steam locomotive likes it fast & hot, I take it ....... just like soooo many of my exes .... :rimshot: :alone:
I know I am responding to a very old post but I can't resist.....So, Smitty, is that why they are your "ex's"?

I gotta ask, Smitty.....do you smoke after sex?

"Cuz if you do, you are doing it too fast! :P

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 8:35 am

No ... they're exes because they were all bat *censored* crazy! :lol:

Great in the rack .... not much good anywhere else ... toothy

bernie2925

Post by bernie2925 » Mon. Sep. 05, 2011 11:24 am

Were can I get bit coal in eastern PA..

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 05, 2011 12:12 pm

bernie2925 wrote:Were can I get bit coal in eastern PA..
Fisher Mining Company has a location in Montoursville, PA. Active officers include John A Blaschak, Daniel Blaschak, Steven Blaschak and Anthony Blaschak. The company's line of business includes Bituminous Coal/Lignite Surface Mining.

Phone: (570) 322-4717

Category: Bituminous Coal/Lignite Surface Mining Strip mining, bituminous

http://www.penncoal.com/wst_page2.html

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Great picture at the end of first page! I can see the late 40's early 50's cars in background.

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”