Video Coal Fired Boilers Detroit School

General topics about using bituminous coal for residential and commercial heating. Pros, cons, and where to get it.
rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Post Sat. Nov. 21, 2009 10:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr9F8xgPGDg
"As recently as 2002, a number of Detroit Public Schools were still heated with coal. Plant in video features a Copes feedwater regulator, duplex pumps and an underfeed Detroit Stoker".

The beginning of the video shows lots of smoke but it must have been from a freshly lit boiler because I know of a number of schools, churches, etc. that used coal and never saw that much smoke.

I especially like and agree with the comment "acidorian" wrote about the video which I pasted here...."that's how all schools should be heated; they're big/old/leaky buildings that cost a lot to heat, they cost significantly less to heat with coal. additonally it's an all-american fuel sourced right here in the USA by american workers. BTW, the thick smoke at the begenning of the video was during stoker startup/shutdown. while running it produces almost no visable smoke."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe

charlie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Prill 200 BF
Other Heating: Tulikivi TTU 2700

Post Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 12:16 am

Very lucky kids... a warm radiator where they can put their mittens to dry and a great, scary place to make up stories about.... the Boiler Room!
"A problem cannot be solved with the same level of consciousness that created it." Einstein

CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 9:34 am

Saw this one too:
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”