Burning Bituminous coal in Chubby

homopratensis

Post by homopratensis » Tue. May. 23, 2023 1:01 pm

Anyone burn Bituminous coal in a chubby? What size worked? Or is this a no-go? Does it smell bad?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. May. 23, 2023 4:14 pm

Its mostly a no go. I saw your other listing looking for Jr model. You will probably have to get it from Larry Trainer, the owner of Chubby stoves. He has a website. That is how I got mine. In 10 years I have not seen any Chubby model closer than 300 miles of me for sale. I likely missed a couple but they are not as common once you get west of Ohio, maybe Indiana.

homopratensis

Post by homopratensis » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 2:29 pm

It seem to me it's worth getting Anthracite. The only thing superior about wood vs Anthracite is the smell, which you only encounter when you open it up. Anthracite is faintly of sulfur. Wood is very pleasant smelling. I asked because I live in Southern Indiana. The distance from the Bituminous coal deposits in Southwest Indiana or in Eastern Kentucky/West Virginia are nearer to me than the Anthracite of Eastern Pennsylvania. But the actual truck miles don't cost as much as you'd think. The lower energy density of Bituminous makes the cost of trucking it half the distance about the same. Bituminous coal is only cheaper than anthracite really if you are moving it by train or barge.

Craigslist now has a feature where you can expand the search area. It makes it easier to find. To me it's worth a car trip to purchase a chubby or any good coal stove. Millions of people take 500+ mile "vacations" every year for reasons like to sit in a cabin in the woods or beach (I have never understood this) or angle for fish. Often from people who have fishing ponds/lakes and woods in their backyards. Why not get a coal stove while your at it?

homopratensis

Post by homopratensis » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 2:34 pm

I love this other heating "Wood and wear a wool shirt"

Same here. You can get very reasonably priced Wool-cotton blend shirts on ebay from the 90s (Pendleton brand). Makes a huge difference.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 4:28 pm

Yes it does. My wood stove is 4 feet from my chair so Im usually hot but if Im in another room its colder.

Chubby's would be good with anthracite. if you do end out using bit I'd get a stove more suited to bit.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jan. 06, 2024 1:26 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. May. 23, 2023 4:14 pm
Its mostly a no go. I saw your other listing looking for Jr model. You will probably have to get it from Larry Trainer, the owner of Chubby stoves. He has a website. That is how I got mine. In 10 years I have not seen any Chubby model closer than 300 miles of me for sale. I likely missed a couple but they are not as common once you get west of Ohio, maybe Indiana.
They are rare as hens teeth here in western Ohio.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 06, 2024 2:14 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Jan. 06, 2024 1:26 pm
They are rare as hens teeth here in western Ohio.
You have to check the marketplace daily and give it a year or two. Ive seen them for sale in far eastern WI and in MI. I remember watching for a Jotul 507 for a couple years before I got my Chubby. Craigslist was king then. I even had a wanted ad for over a year. Eventually I gave up and got my Jr from Larry Trainer. Now 10 years later there is a Jotul 100 miles north of me but I dont want it anymore, plus its overpriced. Those Chubby's were shipped everywhere but of course mostly in NE. It may pay to put a wanted ad on FB but prepare to be messaged by scammers. Didnt HB find one in ohio? They are around if coal is readily available. Auctions may be a better source. Or talk one off those from NE here to get one and ship it to you.

I hate how Facebook displays results. So many unrelated things its awful. They want to make money from the ads first. I do still check for the word coal almost daily. And after I see firewood and charcoal ads I might see a couple correct ads, lol

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”