Van Wert Boiler

kevinjohn
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1963 efm 350 coal stoker
Coal Size/Type: buck

Post by kevinjohn » Mon. Jan. 12, 2009 8:36 pm

hi all, im new to this forum but have read a zillion threads, heres my question,anyone out there have owners manual or installation documentation on a van wert multitherm wood,coal and oil fired boiler,model ocf-120,I bought this boiler several years ago and never installed it, now im in a home where I can use it. Im replacing a weil mcclane oil burner fired at 1.1. gal per hour. any and all help is appreciated. thanks
kevin

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 12, 2009 9:31 pm

kevinjohn wrote:hi all, im new to this forum but have read a zillion threads, heres my question,anyone out there have owners manual or installation documentation on a van wert multitherm wood,coal and oil fired boiler,model ocf-120,I bought this boiler several years ago and never installed it, now im in a home where I can use it. Im replacing a weil mcclane oil burner fired at 1.1. gal per hour. any and all help is appreciated. thanks
kevin
Kevin there is a co. still making Parts for Simplex / Van Wert boilers I Just can't think of the Name right now but once I
do. I will Post here for you. However there are a few stove Parts Places that have Parts that might have a Manual for you here there are contact them they my be able to help or send you to someone that does have them . If I Remember The Company that still makes Parts I will let you know .

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood ... rence.html

kevinjohn

Post by kevinjohn » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 8:10 pm

thanks for the info on the parts company,i may need that in the future. right now id really like to find documentation.is van wert out of business? the tag on the boiler says it was made in peckville,PA. anyone out there know the answer.thanks
kev

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 8:17 pm

This site's creator, Richard S., has a van wert boiler. PM him.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 9:12 pm

There is a company near Bingamton, NY that manufactures replacement parts for Van Wert boilers under the name A&B Stokers, their number is (315)- 440- 0851.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 9:32 pm

It can't be that close. Binghamton has a 607 area code.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 11:27 pm

The place is north of Utica, NY. :) Scott

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 11:47 pm

I was in Utica yesterday. 2+ hours from Binghamton

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 12:22 am

kevinjohn wrote:thanks for the info on the parts company,i may need that in the future. right now id really like to find documentation.is van wert out of business? the tag on the boiler says it was made in peckville,PA. anyone out there know the answer.thanks
kev
Yes the Original company is However There is a New Co. Making Parts for them That markvill & stokerscot posted.
And there are those links to part houses that I Posted. Also PM Member Matthaus he has some info on them .

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=405

kevinjohn

Post by kevinjohn » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks to all yhat responded,I did look at the websites that coalberner suggested but it seems that all I could find was replacemet grates.I will juat have to keep looking,I will call a&b this week and see if they can help me. thanks again for the info,I really need to get this up and running soon,the oil man is trying to kill me haha just kidding,but he really is killing my budget!
Kevin

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 9:47 am

kevinjohn wrote:Thanks to all that responded, I did look at the websites that coalberner suggested but it seems that all I could find was replacement grates.
That is probably the only thing that you would ever need from the original manufacturer. The controls, gauges, etc. are available or adaptable from a variety of vendors. I have a circa 1972 hand fired boiler that was produced for about 10 years. The only thing I can't get are the shaker grates, the wood ones are still available however. :roll: Everything else is available at a local supply houses.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 9:55 am

kevijohn check your PMs (I replied to your request), overall I think the basic owners manual for any automatically control (draft damper) hand fed boiler will be of help. Maybe coaledsweat has a copy of his manual for you to look at as well.

As you found out you can purchase the grates for your boiler, as already stated everything else you need can be bought from plumbing supply or online wood boiler supply houses.

Now get busy and install that thing! :idea: :P

kevinjohn

Post by kevinjohn » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 1:14 am

thanks to all for your help,just moving the beast is a 4 man job,in process of getting new chimney built,will probably a month or 2 till I fire the old girl up. wish me luck
kevin

hayrack

Post by hayrack » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 8:38 pm

I just purchased a used Van Wert Simplex Multi-therm today and I have all the original paperwork and manuals if you are interested. I even have the price the paid in 1979...$4300

sustainable

Post by sustainable » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi all!
I am Definitely a newbie here. I've spent half the day reading posts and threads.
The thread I am posting on is over a year old so I thought it best that I reply here before I IM any of the members that were noted.
I contacted both the suppliers that were mentioned. One hung up on me when I asked about a manual, the others website is under reconstruction.
I lit the furnace today and built it up as was described in some of the other threads and everything was going fine. The it got too hot and blew the pressure releif twice. Closed the draft completey and opened the hot water in the sinks and it still blew.
I am not familiar with all of the components on the furnace. Although I have read a lot of posts I am not familiar with the names of all the items that have been described.
I saw a thread where there was supposed to be a "dictioary" or whatever for terms under an "edit button" in the top rigth hand corner, but I do not see it.
I have noticed that this furnace does not appear to have a damper of any kind(unless I just do not know what I'm looking at).
I have been running a coal cookstove all winter and that took some figuring out but I have mastered it. I'm just lost on this furnace.
If anyone can give me some updated direction on this furnace or point me in the direction where I can obtain a direction manual it would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”