EFM Auger Question

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 12:20 am

well my auger sticks out about 8"

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 12:23 am

stoker-man wrote:What I meant by new construction is that the worm sticks 8" out of the pipe on any unit made for the last 15-20 years. The owner's manual illustration of the protruding worm wasn't updated since the days when it was recommended to keep a gap between the pipes inside the coupler. The pipe gap was eliminated because of coal fines building up and shearing pins, but the illustration was never changed.

So, if you use the pipe package supplied with any new or 15 years old stoker, expect 8" of worm extending from the end of the bin pipe. If you custom design your pipe and worm lengths, then allow at least 3-4 of worm extending from the end of the bin pipe.
could that be the past 27 years?......i'm running the original bin worm mang

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:27 am

Even Big Jim didn't know how long it's been, so maybe it has been that long or your installer decided not to have an air gap between the pipes. The worms have always been the same length.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 5:19 pm

stoker-man wrote:The auger is supposed to be 1 1/2 flights? out of the pipe. The reason being that at 6" from the end of the pipe, you aren't going to pull coal into the pipe from that far away. So the coal is going to grind up at 4-6" away from the end of the pipe and not be pulled into the pipe. Maybe it works with Buck. Maybe it's converting Buck to Rice :) Figuring that the coal is going to feed from the top down and be pulled in near the entrance to the pipe, I would go with the 1 1/2 flights.

Another thing with wet coal is that the bin feed worm can rust off at the pipe coupler and then start grinding away inside the coupler. This will also break the shear pins. I've had two large usage users this past week who were breaking pins and one finally broke the worm. The pipe had rusted to the point where pieces of steel broke off and jammed inside the worm drive. Here is one picture of the rusted pipe below. A stainless steel pipe is used when people use wet coal. It's a Schedule 40, 2" Stainless.
Well Stoker man all I can say is that I have 4 flights sticking out of the Tube which is 6" I have Problems and Yes I am bruning buck instead of Rice what happends with less flights sticking out of the tube is when the coal is wet and has
alot of dirt in it It will clump togething and stop feeding coal with more Auger sticking out like 4 flights 6" it will break up
the clumps of dirt allowing the coal to feed . ;) By the way efm does not recommend 1 1/2 Flights sticking out it is 2 1/2 flights sticking out which is 3 3/4 " look at page three Paragraph three in the Manual I like for 3 or 4 flights it will stop the clumps of dirt and fines from stopping the coal And it will not grind or crush any coal aslong as the Auger end
is above the drum bottom and not touching the bottom of drum free space between the end of the Auger and bottom of drum. The onlytime you will get or hear grinding of coal is when it is coming inside of the tube & once it is inside the tube not on the outside of the tube . Like I said before the wearing of the augers is at the pot end from Either The Pot
bushing wearing out or the Auger bushing wearing out or both . The pot bushing is only .875 O.D. & .750 I.D. Auger

bushing is 7.38 O.D. & 1/2 I.D. When the Pot bushing wear out or Auger bushing then the space between the aguer flights inside the pot is gone causeing the flight to rub against the cast Iron pot wearing the flights and making them sharp this will also effect the mid auger & Bin Auger making then rub against the inside wall of the auger tube You will or should hear the rubbing & grinding of the auger inside the Tube or Pot. When you do stop the furnace and replace the bushing much cheaper then Augers once a Year or earlier when you shut down to clean everything check the Pot bushing & Pot auger bushing . Also check the the inside of the Auger tube coupler if you are using one for build up of fines & dirt .

http://www.efmheating.com/manuals/DF520%20Manual.pdf

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 5:36 pm

lincolnmania wrote:well my auger sticks out about 8"
8 " would be 5 1/2 Flights sticking out of the tube the space between each flight is 1.5 " so " of flights sticking out 2 flights would be 3 " 3 flights would be 4.5" 4 Flights will be 6" 5 flights will be 7.5" 6 flights is 9" So if you have 8" Of Flights sticking out then that wouuld be 5.5 Flights sticking out count the flights when the barrel is low

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 5:43 pm

stoker-man wrote:Even Big Jim didn't know how long it's been, so maybe it has been that long or your installer decided not to have an air gap between the pipes. The worms have always been the same length.
Not all of the Auger are the same size The 350 Pot auger is 48" the 520 pot auger are 45 1/2 " to 45 3/4 " and if you get into the 700 900 & 1300 They are different to And I am prett sure the 100 125 & 150 hot air where a different size
but all of the 350 520 and 150 are interchangeable.

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker

Post by Pa Dealer » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Man I think this horse is dead :D

RY

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Pa Dealer wrote:Man I think this horse is dead :D

RY
well you do not have to read it if you do not want to :P

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Pa Dealer

Post by Pa Dealer » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 7:29 am

39 posts yee haa.

RY

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 2:37 pm

there 40 posts

it jammed up early this morning.....as i'm trying to get paint on a car to cure in the shop.......no friggin luck cause the chinmey on the warm morning fell apart, and I had to shut it down too......tried to turn the auger by hand.....no good......so I shoveled out the barrel down to the auger and it was sticking out 10" .......i shortened the auger to 6.5".......seems much better now.......i think the weight of the coal was pushing too hard on the 10" of auger.......my efm repairs were fast enough to keep the fire lit thank goodness

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 3:09 pm

since I removed the two flights from the auger, things have been alot better......no more crunchy crunchy..........went for coal today and the buck conveyor was broken so I had to get rice

Pa Dealer

Post by Pa Dealer » Tue. Jan. 27, 2009 7:34 am

The coal in the barrel pushes down on the worm( head pressure),if the worm is to long out the tube it will wear out faster.

RY

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”