EFM Auger Question

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 3:35 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Bigger the coal size. The more heat.
and cleaner then Rice Plus you can get it all the time ;)

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker

Post by Pa Dealer » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 5:52 pm

RY[/quote]
At the end of the bin auger there should be 1/34" to 2" or more depending where you put the hole in the drum of clearance from the bottom of drum or bin now how is the coal going to wear the S.S. Auger flights Anthracite is not that hard it will break up into pieces unless the coal; has alot of bone /rock in it The main Place that I seen Auger flights wear is on the Pot auger at the first one or two Flights on the bushing end That is because the Auger & pot Bushings wear out then the flights can rub on the cast iron pot wearing on the flights . That will also make the Mid & Bin Auger off center and then they will rub agianst the Inside of the Auger Tube . I have 6" of auger sticking out of my tube and I have 0
Problems with feeding or fines I get a baby Jar lid full on fines every other day and I am Running Buck #1 Because you can get it all the time and it is cleaner then Rice And more heatout burning less coal .[/quote]

If I was that lucky I'd play the lottery :D

RY

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 1:01 am

Pa Dealer wrote:RY
At the end of the bin auger there should be 1/34" to 2" or more depending where you put the hole in the drum of clearance from the bottom of drum or bin now how is the coal going to wear the S.S. Auger flights Anthracite is not that hard it will break up into pieces unless the coal; has alot of bone /rock in it The main Place that I seen Auger flights wear is on the Pot auger at the first one or two Flights on the bushing end That is because the Auger & pot Bushings wear out then the flights can rub on the cast iron pot wearing on the flights . That will also make the Mid & Bin Auger off center and then they will rub agianst the Inside of the Auger Tube . I have 6" of auger sticking out of my tube and I have 0
Problems with feeding or fines I get a baby Jar lid full on fines every other day and I am Running Buck #1 Because you can get it all the time and it is cleaner then Rice And more heatout burning less coal .[/quote]

RY[/quote]

Now somthing I forgot to say was I am running a shorter Auger then most I use a full size Pot Auger with a cut down bin Auger so my run is small . Now the longer the auger run the more chance you will have more fines or crushing coal up
because it as to travel more up inside the auger tube .
But The question here was How much should the bin auger stick out of the Auger tube Now you and Stoker man said
3 to 4 " sticking out I said 6" Being the space between the flights are 1.5 " center to center 3" would be 2 Flights
sticking out 4" would 3.5 flights sticking out Now 6" like I said would be 4 Flights sticking out So tell me How a 1/2 of
inch more sticking out is going to crush / grind more coal and make more fines .
Last edited by coal berner on Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 1:12 am

Freddy wrote:Just curious..... what's the advantage to burning buck? It seems extra work to screen it all, there must be an extra benefit.
What extra work freddy the screen is on top of the drum / bin you pick up the bucket and dump it into the drum
whatever is to big stays out of the bin on top of the screen when the bucket is empty you grab another one then with the bigger pieces you throw into a bucket and break it up to burn later Not any extra work. Not anymore work then
hand feeding a AA boiler you should of bought a AHS if you wanted to hand fed the boiler :P

Pa Dealer

Post by Pa Dealer » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 8:48 am

coal berner wrote:
Pa Dealer wrote:RY
Problems with feeding or fines I get a baby Jar lid full on fines every other day and I am Running Buck #1 Because you can get it all the time and it is cleaner then Rice And more heatout burning less coal .

RY[/quote]

Now somthing I forgot to say was I am running a shorter Auger then most I use a full size Pot Auger with a cut down bin Auger so my run is small . Now the longer the auger run the more chance you will have more fines or crushing coal up
because it as to travel more up inside the auger tube .
But The question here was How much should the bin auger stick out of the Auger tube Now you and Stoker man said
3 to 4 " sticking out I said 6" Being the space between the flights are 1.5 " center to center 3" would be 2 Flights
sticking out 4" would 3.5 flights sticking out Now 6" like I said would be 4 Flights sticking out So tell me How a 1/2 of
inch more sticking out is going to crush / grind more coal and make more fines .[/quote]

I go by EFM specs,you can do what you feel is right.

RY

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 11:12 am

The auger is supposed to be 1 1/2 flights? out of the pipe. The reason being that at 6" from the end of the pipe, you aren't going to pull coal into the pipe from that far away. So the coal is going to grind up at 4-6" away from the end of the pipe and not be pulled into the pipe. Maybe it works with Buck. Maybe it's converting Buck to Rice :) Figuring that the coal is going to feed from the top down and be pulled in near the entrance to the pipe, I would go with the 1 1/2 flights.

Another thing with wet coal is that the bin feed worm can rust off at the pipe coupler and then start grinding away inside the coupler. This will also break the shear pins. I've had two large usage users this past week who were breaking pins and one finally broke the worm. The pipe had rusted to the point where pieces of steel broke off and jammed inside the worm drive. Here is one picture of the rusted pipe below. A stainless steel pipe is used when people use wet coal. It's a Schedule 40, 2" Stainless.

Attachments

Stoker feed photo rusted[1].JPG
.JPG | 176.7KB | Stoker feed photo rusted[1].JPG

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 1:07 am

i replaced both pipes and the coupler last year
my helpfull roomates keep forgetting that I want to run the barrel low and cut some of the auger off......sometime this week lol......if I don't go for coal tommorow all will go cold lol

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 10:08 am

lincolnmania wrote:i replaced both pipes and the coupler last year
my helpfull roomates keep forgetting that I want to run the barrel low and cut some of the auger off......sometime this week lol......if I don't go for coal tommorow all will go cold lol
Do not cut the Auger off when was the last time you cleaned out the fines in the bottom of the drum .

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 10:41 am

stoker-man wrote:The auger is supposed to be 1 1/2 flights? out of the pipe. The reason being that at 6" from the end of the pipe, you aren't going to pull coal into the pipe from that far away. So the coal is going to grind up at 4-6" away from the end of the pipe and not be pulled into the pipe. Maybe it works with Buck. Maybe it's converting Buck to Rice :) Figuring that the coal is going to feed from the top down and be pulled in near the entrance to the pipe, I would go with the 1 1/2 flights.

Another thing with wet coal is that the bin feed worm can rust off at the pipe coupler and then start grinding away inside the coupler. This will also break the shear pins. I've had two large usage users this past week who were breaking pins and one finally broke the worm. The pipe had rusted to the point where pieces of steel broke off and jammed inside the worm drive. Here is one picture of the rusted pipe below. A stainless steel pipe is used when people use wet coal. It's a Schedule 40, 2" Stainless.
1 1/2 Flights is 2 1/4 Inches Now in your other posed you said 3 to 4 " of auger sticking out of the tube 3" would be
2 flights 4" would be 3 1/2 flights 6" would be 4 flights I have 4 flights sticking out I have No Problem Grinding up coal on the outside of the tube The only grinding is when a bigger piece goes threw the tube I Only get a baby Jar lid full of fines
every 2 days The flights on the outside does not grind up at all I can watch it when the barrel gets low and shows the
auger no grinding happening . Oh I am not the only one running 4 flights out Did efm sell this man a auger & Auger tube
with this new Furance if so why is the Auger sticking out 6" with 4 Flights don't you guy Measure the bin auger tubes
to fit the auger So He would only have 1 1/2 flights sticking out of the Auger tube

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greta325/sets/721576 ... 732468437/

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 12:12 pm

they cleaned the barrel out last night while I was sleeping jc.......so don't cut the auger?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 3:41 pm

There is some conflicting auger information at efm. New construction has the worm extending 8" from the end of the pipe. :oops:

Pa Dealer

Post by Pa Dealer » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 5:04 pm

stoker-man wrote:There is some conflicting auger information at efm. New construction has the worm extending 8" from the end of the pipe. :oops:
Hey Chris does new construction mean the latest surge in newly built 520's :?:

R.Y

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 8:35 pm

I run out of a barrel also. I made a post earlier this year on it. My auger stuck out about an inch. My fire burned out once because of coal starvation. I cut two inches off the pipe and haven't had an issue. So I have about three inches now. I haven't had an issue since.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 8:56 pm

My auger is 3-4 inches out of the tube and no problems feeding at all. What just happened to me was the buildup of fines in the bottom of the barrel kept the coal from falling down. It made a coffee can wide hole down to the auger. :mad: Comes from not watching the coal as you pour it in. Bagged stuff I had left over from last year. Must have had a couple bags with mostly fines. Glad I bag my own now :) Scott

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 10:21 pm

What I meant by new construction is that the worm sticks 8" out of the pipe on any unit made for the last 15-20 years. The owner's manual illustration of the protruding worm wasn't updated since the days when it was recommended to keep a gap between the pipes inside the coupler. The pipe gap was eliminated because of coal fines building up and shearing pins, but the illustration was never changed.

So, if you use the pipe package supplied with any new or 15 years old stoker, expect 8" of worm extending from the end of the bin pipe. If you custom design your pipe and worm lengths, then allow at least 3-4 of worm extending from the end of the bin pipe.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”