AA130 Settings and Smell

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 4:08 pm

I also agree with draft issue . Make sure the funnel area is not blocked as well and is in good shape and sealed ,if the small hole is blocked it will cause excessive ash buildup in the pipe . My anthrastat is 135 & 3 clicks ash.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 4:15 pm

I've checked my funnel several times. It's never showed any sign of trying to clog.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Freddy wrote:I've checked my funnel several times. It's never showed any sign of trying to clog.
Give it a few years once the rust gets on it the ash seems to stick better .Then they just fall apart .

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 10:07 pm

yutyoy wrote:ok, ive been running my AA130 succesfully all winter. and I must say that my complaints are few and far between. however, recently I have been getting a sulfur like smell that is very strong in the basement and can be smelled up in the house as well. my last load of coal wasnt the greatest. does this sound like the coal or something else?
also for other AA users, what do you keep you hi / low / diff settings at? ive been burning alot more coal than I thought, and I feel like it could be running alot more efficent.
Some coal will have a strong Sulfur smell to it. Do to be higher % sulfur content And other coal you will never smell it
With that said check your draft aswell some coal also has a higher % of Fly ash anytime you switch coal you will have to make adjustments Coal is not all the same

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 10:47 pm

coal berner wrote:some coal also has a higher % of Fly ash
You go that right! My Superior makes bunches of fly ash. About every week I have to vac out around the ash bin. My buddy with the AHS is burning Kimmel, the floor around his ash pan stays perfectly clean.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Freddy wrote:
You go that right! My Superior makes bunches of fly ash. About every week I have to vac out around the ash bin. My buddy with the AHS is burning Kimmel, the floor around his ash pan stays perfectly clean.
Good thing you only have 48 tons of it :P Never had Fly ash Problems with Superior only a 1/2 to 1 " a year in the stack pipe High iron ash content Yes sulfur smell no. But I Sure had Fly ash with Summit UAE Calvin V lenig and about 28 other's

yutyoy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman magna fire

Post by yutyoy » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 6:56 am

well, I went home and sure enough it was all clogged up with fly ash.....i mean a PILE of fly ash. I shop vac ed it out (about two 5 gallon shop vacs full) and installed a new and better working baro. the smell is all but gone this morning. now im wondering why so much fly ash. it was cleaned out before I started it up in mid october.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 8:29 am

it could've been one thing or all things stated above...also I would check again after a week of running

high ash content coal
lack of "good" draft while not running or baro setting
blockage
anthrastat settings ( if you don't mind what is the anthrastat set @ also how many notches)

yutyoy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman magna fire

Post by yutyoy » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:37 am

U235a4 wrote:it could've been one thing or all things stated above...also I would check again after a week of running

high ash content coal
lack of "good" draft while not running or baro setting
blockage
anthrastat settings ( if you don't mind what is the anthrastat set @ also how many notches)
140 and I think either 2 or 3 notches.

biggreen1

Post by biggreen1 » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Freddy wrote:
Freddy, My new AA is burning Superior also and I'm getting a lot of ash around the bin. I was wondering weather it was just the nature of the beast or maybe the coal?. There is also a lot of dust in the whole area. Putting it in the Garage was a very good decision. BG

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 2:22 pm

biggreen1 wrote:My new AA is burning Superior also and I'm getting a lot of ash around the bin. I was wondering weather it was just the nature of the beast
My buddy's AHS is very similar.. so similar I feel confident the only reason I get fly ash outside the ash pan & he doesn't, is the coal. I'm thinking of building a temporary hopper so I can hand feed the AA for a few days. It would be interesting to lighten his coal stash by 4 or 5 bags & see how the Kimmel runs in the AA.

morjoh

Post by morjoh » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 3:52 pm

My surroundings including pipes located above my AA boiler is covered with "fly ash". It became progressively worse in one or 2 days. My antrastat is 140.I do not have a Baro. Could it be a clogged funnel or is it the inordinate amount of fly ash that I see in the coal bin? The AA brochure mentions a coal agitator where the coal has an "unusual amount of fines". Would this help?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)

When you say fly ash in the coal bin I assume you are talking about "coal fines". These are small pieces of coal that break off and appear to be a fine black dust when collected in one place. I find them all around the ash pan in the base, and even in the chimney clean out since mine is only 6 feet of piping away from the boiler.

The dust or flyash in the boiler room could be expelled from the barometric damper if you don't have the prescribed protrusion on the 5" pipe where it enters the 6" T for the baro. Tale a look at the manual there is a table and diagram.

If you feel your cyclonic separator is clogged, just reach up under with welding gloves or other protection and feel if the opening is free. Or even use a flash light and a mirror to look. Generally speaking you need to clean/check that once a season.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 5:52 pm

You can see the bottom of the funnel by opening the ash door under the auger, making sure the ash tray is toward the front of the boiler (view port) and with a flash light you have direct line of sight to it. Sometimes you can't quite see it and will have to take a stick and move a tiny bit of ash off the ash tray.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 7:38 pm

biggreen1 wrote:
Freddy wrote: You go that right! My Superior makes bunches of fly ash. About every week I have to vac out around the ash bin. My buddy with the AHS is burning Kimmel, the floor around his ash pan stays perfectly clean.
Freddy, My new AA is burning Superior also and I'm getting a lot of ash around the bin. I was wondering weather it was just the nature of the beast or maybe the coal?. There is also a lot of dust in the whole area. Putting it in the Garage was a very good decision. BG
Just so we all on the same track Fly ash is caused after burning coal it is ash Coal fines is coal dirt mixed in with the coal
small pieces of coal there is a big different between the two.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”