AHS 130 Boom, Da Boom, Da Boom,Boom,Boom

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Dec. 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Razzler wrote:Dose he have enough outside fresh air in the boiler room?
From day two he's left a window open a couple of inches. I spoke with him yesterday & he seems to think he can adjust the draft to .04. I thought some time back he said all he could get was .02, but he says he adjusted the baro to .02 because that what mine likes. Maybe all it needs is adjusting!

1. In your original post you mentioned that the cleanout door had been blown open--is it now properly closed and sealed? It only comes open when it booms.
2. Is the chimney liner completely intact with no breaks or unsealed liner joints? Yes, but we're going to double check.
3. Is stove pipe to chimney connection fully sealed? Yes.
4. Are there any other openings in the chimney such as a second appliance? No

Thought I should mention, that even with this little glitch, that he's happy as heck with the AHS. He's saving a ton of money on fuel oil & propane & is warmer than ever. Another bonus, ever since the house was built the heat pipes have made awful expansion noise, with the coal that has been 100% eliminated. I think it's because the flow checks still leak a bit....he doesn't care why, he just knows it's some nice to to listen to them click & squeak all the time.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Dec. 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Freddy wrote:snip... I thought some time back he said all he could get was .02, but he says he adjusted the baro to .02 because that what mine likes. Maybe all it needs is adjusting!... snip
I think the answer has been provided by AHS, not sure I understand why you can't achieve -.04" WC draft. Freddy on a related note, if you are running your AA at -.02"WC it is no wonder you had the boom boom when you first lit it. :)

If the boiler room is receiving some kind of negative pressure drop from the location of the window that is open and the prevailing winds then that needs to be dealt with. Take the manometer and measure the DP between the outside and the boiler room, might be a clue as to why the draft won't go over -.02"WC.

Or mnaybe the fat red man got stuck in the chimney! :lol: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

In my experience with the Anthratube design draft is critical to proper operation.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Thu. Dec. 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Yaaaa, that's a good point... the window he keeps open may be causing a negative if the wind is "just wrong".

I'm pretty sure my AA booms were too much coal in the initial firing. I have had none since day 2. My chimney is minimum height, it won't do over .02 unless it's windy.

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Fri. Dec. 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Just wondering if the internal chimney dimensions are larger than the pipe? RichB

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Freddy wrote:My chimney is minimum height, it won't do over .02 unless it's windy.
What is minimum height? Mine will be about 17'. Should be ok. What do you think Freddy?

Bob

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 2:45 pm

bustedwing wrote:ust wondering if the internal chimney dimensions are larger than the pipe?
His chimney is an 8"....which is 6 or 7"? square inside.
sterling_40man wrote:hat is minimum height?
The manual (or was it talking to Pete Anderson) says 15'. Mine is close to that.

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Freddy wrote:The manual (or was it talking to Pete Anderson) says 15'. Mine is close to that.
After seeing your chimney, first hand, I thought it was 15' or 16'.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 8:01 pm

I had my first observed AHS 130 boom of the season today. Quite loud, sounded more like a muffled cannon. There were two much quieter secondary booms. Today is very mild, 50 deg max temp, overcast with no wind, humidity 100%, barometric pressure steady 30.23 in. mg. I was next to the boiler at the time. It occurred immediately after the combustion blower shut off. No damage done, it slammed the inspection port door hard against the stop bar. I took a quick look at the baro, 0.05 in. H2O. A fresh slug of Superier pea coal had recently been released into the combustion pot. Looking in I could hear the coal cracking and popping. No flames visible after the blower stopped just fresh coal. I waited 20 minutes and looked at the idle conditions baro reading, 0.04 in. H2O. This is typical for my installation. Baro typically reads 0.05 to 0.06 when the combustion blower is running. My baro is a 6" Fields RC installed at the chimney thimble, in the concentric 5" stovepipe method, aka the A-A method. Stovepipe slopes steeply up from the boiler to the baro. The two adjustable el's are almost straight.

ramien
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130 2007
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Blaschak Anthracite

Post by ramien » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I have had my system running steady since Nov. 15 and have had no Ka booms. I have a steady draft of .o4 "wc. The stack is 7ft long with 2 tees all, 5" the baro is 1ft from the chimney, it is 6" as is the penetration. My chimney is only 4 years old but I checked it anyway and there were no problems. The S130 is piped to an oil boiler with 1 1/4 pipe. I have not had a single problem with the system. I am burning Kimmels coal and am averaging a bag a day during the COLD days. My house is 2200 sq ft.

203bob

Post by 203bob » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:21 am

i had the same thing happen to mine.the cone was almost 3''s below bottom of tube,cut spot weld and put it between 1/2 '' and 1''. the stove is now working fine

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 10:53 am

203bob wrote:the cone was almost 3''s below bottom of tube
I'm confused...what cone? What change did you make?

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 11:15 am

I finally found a way to make a 260 go boom
The fire was almost out about 6 inches from view port.
So I dumped in about 30 lbs of coal and went upstairs.
i heard a funny noise like a hammer againt the view port cover.
dose this qualify for a boom
BDD

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 11:46 am

Blackdiamonddoug wrote:dose this qualify for a boom
I think you're now in the club! Welcome! Yup, I think I learned the way to make a boom is extra coal in the burn chamber. You did it, you got it.

203bob

Post by 203bob » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 12:21 pm

if you read connecting the flue pipe ,it tells you to remove stack cover plate and check the position of reducer funnel in bottom of stack end of funnel should be about1/2'' to 1'' below the end of stack.remove ash pane and you can see bottom off funnel only has a 1'' hole at end of funnel.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Here's what the new AHS manual says:

Begin Quote:

"Before connecting the flue pipe, remove the tack cover plate and check the position of the reducer funnel in the bottom of the stack. The end of the funnel should be about ½” to 1” below the end of the stack but not too low that it can interfere with the ash. When replacing the cover, replace the gasket between the flange in order to prevent leakage of fly ash."

End Quote

This implies that the funnel is movable. I don't think it is, at least not in mine, it appears to be welded in place. The exploded view of the boiler components doesn't even show the correct assembly. No where does it imply that item 26 goes into the pipe below item 25. How about an illustration that shows the correct assembly of the funnel and it dimensional relationship to the grate? As poor as the manual is it's a major improvement over the 6 page manual I should have received when I bought my boiler. Had to call AHS to get it.

As we have all observed coal manufacture's appliance manuals are next to worthless. The new coal gun manual is better than most but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Attachments

Coal_Gun_Ex_View.jpg
.JPG | 163.2KB | Coal_Gun_Ex_View.jpg

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”