Anti Puff Back Device for AA... Isn't Working

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Problem: puff backs.

Solution: Allow air above the coal while it's running, or build an anti-puff back device that woould hold open the view port door for 10 seconds before the boiler shut off. This 10 seconds would purge explosive gasses from the burn chamber.

OK, I had some time, some parts and some ideas, but I obviously don't have enough brain to follow alllll the way through the electrics of it. I know what the problem is. I'm getting feedback that resets the timer and it self cycles endlessly. When I have more time to kill, instead of watching reruns of I Love Lucy, I'll putter some more on it. If I ever get it to work I'll clean up the wiring.

The mechanics work fine! The soloid actuates & fingers open the view port door. After 10 seconds it has purged the gasses and shuts down. The problem is it immediatly does it again, over & over. In other words, it ain't workin'!

Attachments

Anti-Boom (2).JPG
.JPG | 851.1KB | Anti-Boom (2).JPG

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Mr Spock, your logic isn't correct. Where in the hell do they sell "anti-puff back" switch plate covers? A Bangor item?
You will have the EPA at you house when they see the relays, exposed wiring, blah, blah blah! Do you need a flack vest to enter the garage?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 8:45 pm

All that for a brandy spanking new unit?????? Man, look at all those wires. Just call Mathaus

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Looks like this guy taught you how to wire. :lol:

Attachments

200px-Unabomber.jpg

Ted Kaczynski aka unabomber

.JPG | 12.7KB | 200px-Unabomber.jpg

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Freddy I applaud your ingenuity. I think you need to add one thing something to ignite the gasses, pilot light or red hot poker or something. With my hand-fed as long as I have some sort of flame coming from the bed of coals I never have a puff back no matter how much coal I load up. I don't know but was even thinking that a battery back up device might have enough energy to charge a coil of wire hot enough to keep the gasses ignited so no puffs back and then shut off after ten min. or so and then recharge for the next go around. Better people than me here so I'll step aside now and find my seat in the gallery.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:15 pm

If I ever get it to work I'll clean up the wiring.
Someone sent Freddy some cable ties quick!
build an anti-puff back device that woould hold open the view port door for 10 seconds before the boiler shut off.
Freddy-how would this device know when it is 10 seconds before the boiler shuts off?
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Freddy, I think I saw this guy wandering around Bangor. He might be able to help you :lol: :nana:

Attachments

Einstein.jpg
.JPG | 22.1KB | Einstein.jpg

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Heyyy.... I said I'd clean up the wiring! LMAO. It was a whole bunch of fun.

I gave thought to a pilot light idea, but, a propane pilot wouldn't stay lit and an electric arc would be difficult to house in the burn chamber & not melt as well as be expensive to run. Even propane would cost $20 a month to keep going. I do think the best way it as I'm trying....disrupt the mixture before a flame tickles it to ignition.

I hae not had a puff back since day two. But, I think I'd gain .001% efficiency by closing the 5/8" hole. :)

The anti-boom cover plates are right next to the clap-on switches at Bangor Hardware. ;)

I think one more delay timer...break the wire going to the 120V relay duing the 10 seconds, yaaaaa, that'll do it!

You should see it work! It makes a Bzzzzzz, but holds the door open just right. *smile* No flak jacket required, just safetly glasses, a GFI circuit & a good ground wire.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 9:19 pm

The red box, the delay relay, sesnes when the boiler shuts off, it instantly turns it back on along with the solonoid that actuates the finger.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Freddy wrote:The red box, the delay relay, sesnes when the boiler shuts off, it instantly turns it back on along with the solonoid that actuates the finger.
Freddy....I think it's cool that you have a device that automatically gives the finger....

However, here is a marketing tip.....

I think it will sell better for use in cars than for coal stoves! :P

djackman

Post by djackman » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 2:08 pm

What you need is a one-shot timer. Run for X seconds when the input toggles from a specific state to another.

I have a delay box from an Otis elevator control board here, might do what you need. Will look-see tonight.

What about a draft booster fan that runs for a minute or so after burner shutdown? Suck the gases out of the boiler instead.

I'm not an EE, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, so YMMV.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Wow I just saw this, Freddy, think you are working too hard for a solution that can be found in proper control of draft and boiler room pressure. Although I'm not discouraging you and I must say you have worked hard to contrive some pretty fancy chinery there! :)

In order to delay off time by x seconds and actuate a solenoid to hold the flapper open you just need a delay on break timer. That way it will keep everything running for x seconds on shut off and open the flapper with you r nice little realy. The "do loop" you created by activating a 10 second delay that can repeat will never be over. :)

Best wishes for a successful science project. :D

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:20 pm

I would suggest wiring your first solenoid to release a billiard ball -- I recommend the nine ball -- that will roll down a ramp and trip a toggle switch to activate the door-opener solenoid, which you will couple with a second ball release on a calibrated 10-second ramp to toggle the door closed again. Train the dog to replace the billiard balls at the top of the ramp. Dogs have good hearing, so he will hear the balls drop and know when to do his job. I know this will be a challenge but still simpler than what you have now, and more entertaining to watch.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Like I said before SUPERIOR coal is like runing the family car on nitro-methanol. :D This weekend I was playing with superior coal in my hand fed.I usually open the load door about 10 mins after loading and it goes woof and I'm done.This time I went to the bathroom with a magizine(dumb move) and 15 or so mins latter BOOM from the cellar.I went downstairs and the baro that has 1 screw in it and the factory clamp was at a 45*angle.Now that was a puff back.

Seems like your getting this down to a science.I think it's just a matter of timing in your case.(how much air and for how long) Good luck.
DON

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I tried the 9 ball trick.... the dog took the balls & burried them out back! ;)

The timer I have I can set to be "one shot" or "delay on break" (or delay on make). I've tried every which way but keep getting feedback. Hmmmmm... I'll let it marinate in my mind for a week or two & see what I come up with. I think somehow to break the feed to the 110V relay during the 10 second run is the answer.

At this point I don't neeeed it, I just thought it'd be a fun project & it might burn a bit better with the 5/8" hole pulgged.

DJackman, a draft booster wouldn't help... hard to explain, but it would end up being the same as if the boiler was running. I apperciate the offer of parts, but I do think I have all the parts needed.... I just can't totally wrap my brain around it.....yet.

Thanks for all the tips, fun or serious, all are appreciated.

Fred

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”