Dust Cover

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
billw
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 520
Stove/Furnace Model: GOODBYE OIL COMPANY

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 2:34 pm

I saw a picture on here a while ago with a 520 that had a dust cover over the ratchet and motor assembly. Are they available from EFM? My system was built in 1959.

After Christmas I'll be starting a major woodworking project in my shop. That's also the new home of my 520. I have visions of sawdust getting all over the ratchet assembly, in the oil reservoir, and getting pulled into the fan assembly. If they aren't available I guess I'll have to build one with an air filter on it but I'd rather buy than build.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 4:31 pm

The current units have a dust cover, called a 'hood'. Not sure if it will hang on your jacket. The stoker is the same and the only problem I see is the mounting of it. If your filter becomes restricted, you might have burning issues. Also, be careful about having a dusty environment in the presence of a live fire.

I used to have a wood stove in my woodworking shop and never blew up the place, but I also have a good collection system and always open slightly the garage door if I'm not collecting.
‹(•¿•)›

billw

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Can I order a hood from a dealer? I'll mount it even if I have to build a set of brackets. I never thought of the boom factor with the sawdust and the boiler. My dust collection system is a shop vac attached to the power tool I'm running. The only one that puts a lot of dust in the air is my planer.

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM DF 520
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey Bill W, I don't see the cover listed in my parts book, but I might have one floating around in my shop. We always called the cover a dog house because the old ones had a mouse hole cut out on the side that fit over the motor, im sure J.C heard that term before. PM me and I will give you details on if I have a dog house.

RY
Attachments
IMG_2840.JPG

Mark (PA)
Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi bill

i have a cover with my unit and its a 1953 so maybe yours did have one but the previous owner got rid of it.

mine does not look like PA dealers picture though, it is slanted on top like if water was running off it instead of flat like a box top.

My stoker doesn't have the tooth adjustment like todays either, it has an arm that you slide in and out (horizontally) to get more or less teeth. the arm is mounted on the shaft of the gearbox.

Anyway I guess the point is I bet you can make something work for a dust cover that will help anyway! If I had a digital camera I would post a pic of what mine looks like too so you could see the difference.

Good luck!

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

billw

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks Mark, yours has the rounded top? The picture I saw was like that. I just bought one from a member. :) Now I'm thinking I should modify it so I can hook up cold air. The cover should make it pretty easy. I've got to stop thinking, I make more work for myself.

e.alleg
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Post Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Mine is insulated on the inside, it quiets down the motor and ratchet to non-audible levels. I wouldn't run the boiler in your house without the cover simply because of the added noise. It isn't "loud" without it by any means but once you hear the thing with the cover on it's silent. There is just a lip on the piece on metal jacket that it hooks on.
Burning coal is definitely worth the extra work involved.
"Good enough" is not good enough.

Mark (PA)
Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

Post Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 6:54 pm

I never thought about that with the cover helping the noise.

its funny though after using oil and corn/pellet units. the coal boiler even without the cover is VERY quiet and I like it.

i'll have to try that cover now and see what she sounds like!!! thanks for the tip.

cArNaGe

Post Sun. Nov. 23, 2008 11:09 pm

i can hear the ticking if my airhandler isn't blowing. The air handler drowns out any noise if its running.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: efm af-150 1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 1980 kenmore

Post Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 4:29 am

mine has a cover......all you need to hang the cover is a piece of sheetmetal with about 7/16" of the lip bent at about a 135 deg angle mounted to the boiler tin

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 5:47 am

If the ticking bothers you, switch to 160W oil.
‹(•¿•)›

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM DF 520
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker

Post Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:20 am

It's a very soothing tick or click :)

RY

cArNaGe

Post Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:55 am

Ticking doesn't bother me.

Lets me know its doing its job.

coal berner
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post Fri. Sep. 25, 2009 9:11 pm

billw wrote:Thanks Mark, yours has the rounded top? The picture I saw was like that. I just bought one from a member. :) Now I'm thinking I should modify it so I can hook up cold air. The cover should make it pretty easy. I've got to stop thinking, I make more work for myself.
Bill I know this is a old thread and that you already got a hood next time Just call the shop or Pm me The hood was left at the shop when you picked up the unit There is a building full of hoods next to the shop most people do not want them when they buy the units so the building is full of them don't know how it was left behind but it is there if you want it By the way your 520 will take the round style hood.
PS I don't know how I missed this thread last year could of saved you time & money.
J.C.

Heating house & water with a 1986 electric furnace man DF520 using buckwheat Anthracite coal

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”