Oil Combustion Efficiency With DF520?

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
daluds
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EMF
Stove/Furnace Model: DF-520

Post Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 10:29 pm

I measured about 82.5 percent when I first ran the DF520 with oil. What is typical efficiency expected with the DF520 burning oil? I have to switch to oil when I travel, and interested in knowing what people have measured with the DF520. I brush off the ashes in the boiler before I switch. Is there anything else I should do to optimize the oil burner combustion efficiency when I have to run on oil? Also, I noticed I can not reduce the smoke to zero when running on oil. Best I have been able to achieve is 1 on the smoke test. Is this due to the coal in the pot? Should I cover the pot with a blank of kaowool?

Thanks,

Dave

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 6:28 am

The 520 was designed to burn only coal. The oil kit was made as a convenience only. I would have guessed that the efficiency would be in the high 70s. The combustion chamber needs to be significantly reduced to achieve a decent efficiency if you would ever go to 100% oil.

The oil burner should be run for a few minutes, once a month, to flush the nozzle line with fresh oil.
‹(•¿•)›

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Other Heating: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM DF 520
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker

Post Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 8:41 am

"Should I cover the pot with a blank of kaowool?"

Done that it helps

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 10:21 am

One on the smoke test isn't bad at all, I wouldn't worry about it. I would definatly cover the burn pot with something to reduce any outside air infiltration if that's what you meant.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

daluds
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Stove/Furnace Make: EMF
Stove/Furnace Model: DF-520

Post Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Stoker-man,

The oil burner works great. One of the reasons I bought the DF520 is so I can run on oil when I travel, and during the summer when oil prices are low. I'll measure the efficiency again after burning coal for the past few months. I have gone through 1.5 tons so far. Still interested in what other people are measuring for efficiency on oil.

Thanks,

Dave

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”