Bypass Line Plumbing Question

papcun52

Post by papcun52 » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm only a novice plumber here. My father-in-law, call him Joe (not Joe the plumber, of course) and I were arguing about the way the water is going to flow through this bypass line. Does it matter if the bypass line comes off the return before or after the first return portal? In any case Joe thinks that the water will flow from the supply line to the return line and then back into the boiler, instead of from the return line to the supply line and back to the radiators. Are we just over analyzing the situation? What makes the water flow in the proper direction?

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Where are your circulators or circulator at? Or Zone Valves?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 5:55 am

Hand valves are installed to balance the flow of water. This can be an experimental process, as I found out with my own zone valves, in a slightly different situation.

Since I "dump" my wood boiler heat into my first and second floor without the use of a thermostat, the second floor was getting all the heat because it was the last zone on the supply line. I had to practically close that hand valve to get water to go into the first floor, which is the zone before the second floor on the supply line.

In the end, the one hand valve is fully open and the other is almost fully closed, and now I have a balance of heat between the two floors.

papcun52

Post by papcun52 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:38 pm

My pump is on the return line close to the boiler. In fact there is no room on the return line for anything between the pump and the boiler. I'm probably going to put my bypass in between the two return entry points. I have three branches in my supply line and each of these have a control valve.

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:36 pm

my bypass returns there (between the return ports) and works well. I don't think you'll have any trouble with it there on the returns.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”