EFM Pricing Confusion

phillyburbsNoob

Post by phillyburbsNoob » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 3:41 pm

I talked to a dealer yesterday about a new EFM 520, and was told that the price at roughly $8,300 was "only $200 over" their cost from EFM. Is this true? Now, I'm getting in line to get one in any case but that number just stuck in my craw as not making sense. But I'm leaning towards another dealer, and if this $200 is a funny number that will influence the decision.

I'm not looking for actual EFM dealer cost- I know that can't be discussed- but I have a hard time believing that there is so little markup. I don't know many businesses that could keep the lights on with a 2.5% markup.

Thanks

Tony

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Check your PM

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 10:43 pm

I wouldn't think too much about it, no dealer will ever tell you his actual cost.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 9:39 pm

phillyburbsNoob wrote:I talked to a dealer yesterday about a new EFM 520, and was told that the price at roughly $8,300 was "only $200 over" their cost from EFM. Is this true? Now, I'm getting in line to get one in any case but that number just stuck in my craw as not making sense. But I'm leaning towards another dealer, and if this $200 is a funny number that will influence the decision.

I'm not looking for actual EFM dealer cost- I know that can't be discussed- but I have a hard time believing that there is so little markup. I don't know many businesses that could keep the lights on with a 2.5% markup.

Thanks

Tony
Maybe that is his profit after all his other expenses figured in ?Water ,electric ,rent ,ins .ect..

chlop

Post by chlop » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm set to have a 520 coal-oil combination installed this coming week----at a price of $11, 600. From what I understand, it's a pretty fair price. I had ordered a Keystoker in early June, but it never arrived. I'm told that it would likely be ready in March of next year.

efo141

Post by efo141 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 5:19 pm

June orders for Keystoker are delayed untill March now ?

chlop

Post by chlop » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 5:21 pm

That's what I heard earlier this week, so I had to decide what to do. I'm hoping that the EFM is a better investment!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 5:56 pm

I'd guess if that dealer told you there was $200 profit on an $8,300 machine, that the money he was talking about was after he paid his emplyees, mortgage, insurance, food, car payment & new sneakers for his kid. That $200 could go into an IRA. Profit is not a bad word. Some people deal with cost & business different than others. I'll bet some dealers would never talk numbers, the one you hit uses numbers to try & make the customer feel like they're getting a deal. Maybe he's found it works for him. Persoanlly I'd prefer a dealer to say "The reason I charge list price is so I can assure that I'll be here when you need service. If I give you too low a price I'll be out of business". In this area the largest and most well known oil company is the one that has the highest price. Why? They sell their name and service.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 6:04 pm

You all are forgetting something not all dealers do this fulltime some are parttime business with very little overhead
some work at other places during week and Sell stoker stoves / furnaces boilers on the weekends or evening hr.
8300 for a new DF 520 is very good price buy it

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 6:09 pm

At that price it's being written off as a gift.

chlop, can you tell me how you were able to decide on the efm and get one so fast?

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker

Post by Pa Dealer » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Freddy wrote:I'd guess if that dealer told you there was $200 profit on an $8,300 machine, that the money he was talking about was after he paid his emplyees, mortgage, insurance, food, car payment & new sneakers for his kid. That $200 could go into an IRA. Profit is not a bad word. Some people deal with cost & business different than others. I'll bet some dealers would never talk numbers, the one you hit uses numbers to try & make the customer feel like they're getting a deal. Maybe he's found it works for him. Persoanlly I'd prefer a dealer to say "The reason I charge list price is so I can assure that I'll be here when you need service. If I give you too low a price I'll be out of business". In this area the largest and most well known oil company is the one that has the highest price. Why? They sell their name and service.
Thats a big 10-4

RY

chlop

Post by chlop » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 5:45 am

I just was lucky. Somebody backed out of a deal with an EFM, and I'm getting it.

efo141

Post by efo141 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 7:13 pm

Pa Dealer wrote:
Freddy wrote:I'd guess if that dealer told you there was $200 profit on an $8,300 machine, that the money he was talking about was after he paid his emplyees, mortgage, insurance, food, car payment & new sneakers for his kid. That $200 could go into an IRA. Profit is not a bad word. Some people deal with cost & business different than others. I'll bet some dealers would never talk numbers, the one you hit uses numbers to try & make the customer feel like they're getting a deal. Maybe he's found it works for him. Persoanlly I'd prefer a dealer to say "The reason I charge list price is so I can assure that I'll be here when you need service. If I give you too low a price I'll be out of business". In this area the largest and most well known oil company is the one that has the highest price. Why? They sell their name and service.
Thats a big 10-4 Is that a Ferguson To 20 or 30? I have a 1950 TO-20. not as nice as yours though.

RY

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 10:23 pm

I never really understood why people complain over the price that dealers charge for a boiler. You take a car dealer,,, they hit you so hard for a piece of machinery that is guaranteed to break down. There would't be service stations if it wasn't true. Lawn mowers,,, a new lawn mower is an extravagent piece of machinery destined to break down,,, all to make sure your grass doesn't hide the house. People buy houses and mowers all the time and are really proud of them. Why??? because they are so expensive!!! Truth be told, boilers should cost more than cars and movers. A good coal boiler runs for ever, rarely breaks down. Saves you more money to buy car and mowers. Only has to have the oil changed once a year or so. You don't need a scanner tool to see what sensor is tweaked. And mostly,,, Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling opening the door and watching the "caveman tv". They are cheap. Really. Spread out the price of a decent boiler over 20 or 30 years and they are worth every single cent. I wish most of the stuff I bought was so good. :) Scott

Pa Dealer
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker

Post by Pa Dealer » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 5:59 am

Hey efo141 The tractor is a1941 Ford 9n .Restored it a few years ago,its pretty much original.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”