EFM on a Generator

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 10:36 am

SMITTY wrote:I've wired up every system in my house without killing or maiming anyone. I have a generator switch wired up safely -- it is completely isolated from the outside line & the 2 are impossible to connect, the way it's wired. I have no training whatsoever on anything electrical, with the exception of 12V DC systems in motor vehicles. I know how to check for floating or bonded neutral in a gen set. I have the common sense to know the difference & NOT to take everything on the net as gospel. Everyone is different.
ditto... My professionally installed transfer switch on my 10 kw gen setup in the 5 family failed terribly due to an error made during the installation by the liscenced electrician and fried a 5hp deep well pump. all humans make mistakes and it is up to the individual to do his due dillagence before taking on something unfamiliar. A wise thought is to read all instructions first!! follow all safety procedures and be concious of your actions toward others :)

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 11:20 am

" This is critical, before you do anything shut off the main breaker. If you forget you can kill a line worker or back feed to your neighbors.
You might hurt the neighbor, but unlikely, the lineman. I asked my buddy, a lineman of 20 years for PPL about this, some time ago, and they are aware of this danger and they can take care of themselves.

But anyway, if I had a generator, I would use the proper isolating equipment.

My brother and I share a well pit and the same underground PPL service and he forgot to disconnect his power in the pit. One day I shut off my main breaker and nothing happened. Our houses were connected through the pit. It had been like that for a few years. Now we have separate receptacles with one plug off the pump; problem eliminated.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 11:46 am

e.alleg wrote:When the power goes out, SHUT OFF THE MAIN BREAKER. This is critical, before you do anything shut off the main breaker. If you forget you can kill a line worker or back feed to your neighbors. Don't forget, stick a note on your generator do something just don't forget no matter what to shut off the main breaker.
Better yet, remove the main breaker. No connection, no problems. It only takes a minute to do. ;)

buickanddeere

Post by buickanddeere » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:I didnt realize I would be sharing my thoughts with such a talanted Handyman.....
one who's mission is to save the world from themselves, what an honor...and french canadian to boot
You were doing ok until the nasty insult about being french. The last thing I am is one of those "frogs". Most frech are nice enough but there are some who use "french" for favours and power they do not deserve. There is even a party that sits in Parliament whose official goal is to separate Quebec from Canada. If this occurred in other countries these whiners would be rounded up and tried as traitors.
Foreigners listening to the Canadian Media and Government would understandably think french was the 1st language and English a distant 2nd in every house in Canada. The small but powerful and political french minority in Canada have carved themselves a solid niche in Government, Civil Service, Publicly funded Media and military.
Last figures I seen there are more households speaking Italian or Chinese etc in Canada than the 8% French minority.Odd thing is only french is supported by Federal Grants and laws.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 7:13 pm

:lol: I am still doing ok as long as the power dosn't go out and the global warming allows all the heating devices to stay off this winter.

I thought the east side of Huron was full of Frogs. Glad you will be allowed to stay around here then 8-)

buickanddeere

Post by buickanddeere » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 12:10 am

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 7:47 am

My sub panel with interlinked Main & Gen CBs....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20 ... _200196524
Sub Panel.JPG
.JPG | 30.1KB | Sub Panel.JPG

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 2:19 am

#1 I stated how I have seen CHEAP people do it, not how to do it properly for code, inspections, lack of common sense, etc... # 2 I made a disclaimer to turn off the main breaker. Now I will really piss you off and say if you try to power the neighborhood with your 3000 watt portable genset you probably won't kill anyone but you will pop the genset's circuit breaker instantly. But I figured I would put the thought of killing someone in there to prevent any freak accidents from occurring.
ANYWAY if you want the even less sophisticated way to electrocute the whole world ahem hook up your generator just plug it into your electric range or electric dryer's 220v socket. The way I saw it done was a little cleaner through a welding outlet which is how it all started with the back feed description. If you really want to go nuts just yank the meter and call the electric company and tell them to come get it and pull the wire off the pole and use solar/wind/gen power 24/7 off the grid, then pay off your mortgage and cancel your homeowners insurance and then you can do whatever the hell you want in your house.

to answer the original poster's question: yes, a properly sized and installed generator will power your EFM no problem. Please contact a licensed electrician to set up an emergency standby power system for you, do not attempt to do anything yourself with electricity or you could die.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 2:38 am

Trying to keep a wife from loosing a husband, parents from loosing a son and kids from loosing their Dad.
how can we take you seriously when you don't even have 3rd grade grammar skills? LOSE - to not have anymore. LOOSE - opposite of tight. Teach/learn, too/to, you can't even get a GED without these basic skills.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”