AA130 too much draft or too little feed? Outfires

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Mon. Aug. 21, 2023 8:16 am

Unburnt mixed in is the norm for a AA130 in the summer.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Mon. Aug. 21, 2023 8:21 pm

mozz wrote:
Mon. Aug. 21, 2023 8:16 am
Unburnt mixed in is the norm for a AA130 in the summer.
And seemingly more than any other stoker style, which is kinda my point, in spite of that - it still rocks and consumption is low!

I have to admit, I'm becoming a huge fan of the low water volume of these units. My neighbor has an Axeman Anderson oil boiler and I couldn't believe how tiny it is in comparison to my old EFM oil boiler in my house, it seems to be an AA thing to try to keep the volume low and exchange efficient...but that's just my simple visual observations. Larger volume seems to increase heat loss if not insulated correctly but I'm guessing maybe this was to feed a high volume system, last cast iron...I'd be interested in comments on that

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Aug. 24, 2023 7:27 pm

Proud of ya Bro! Keep up the good work 🙂 I lost my fire in July, and decided to leave it out till we need some heat coming up in September. I can get my bin filled for $360 a ton delivered, I'm not very happy about it but I'm seeing others pay a lot more.. all we can do is hope that at some point in the future it comes down a bit.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Aug. 27, 2023 7:39 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Aug. 24, 2023 7:27 pm
Proud of ya Bro! Keep up the good work 🙂 I lost my fire in July, and decided to leave it out till we need some heat coming up in September. I can get my bin filled for $360 a ton delivered, I'm not very happy about it but I'm seeing others pay a lot more.. all we can do is hope that at some point in the future it comes down a bit.
Man...I can't imagine my day without my regular visits to check on "andy" in the basement...it's a sad day when he's stone cold! I wonder if you lost your fire since your boiler is insulated? I remember reading somewhere that it's designed (perhaps by luck) to lose just enough heat to give the fire a chance to recoop. Although I'm considering doing something for winter...even if it's just a nice piece of foam draped over the boiler, something removable for summer. Any idears?

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sun. Aug. 27, 2023 8:23 pm

Ahh, foam will melt, maybe even burn.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Aug. 28, 2023 8:45 pm

I did insulate it, and I'm sure that has something to do with it not maintaining a fire. But we do have future plans of renovating our outbuilding into an Air BNB and heating the hot tub with it so it'll have more to do 🙂

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”