lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. May. 13, 2023 10:25 am

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. May. 12, 2023 8:38 pm
I've been running my kaa-4 non-stop for 7 years and have never had any unburnt coal spilling over the sides of the grates. I find 1 or maybe 2 pieces of unburnt coal per month and I'm pretty sure those are caused by exploding pieces in the fire, not by being pushed over the edge.

Is your boiler level front to back? What you describe happening really sounds like your grates are sloping up. I remember you had a horrible installation and I suspect that your stoker is slightly angled up. It would not take much of an angle to cause problems.
=======================================================================================================

As far as I know my boiler is level, as I vaguely remember them using a level to check it when the skin was off.

You are right about my having had a horrible installation in addition to keystokers unwillingness to help me one
bit unless I was willing to pay them 75 dollars an hour plus travel time in 2015-6 even as it was under warranty.

Keystoker never should have been using digital double aquastats as the mechanical single aquastats
would have been more than sufficient using 3 of them for low limit, high limit and dump zone control.
Don Snow was mistaken in saying that the mechanical triple aquastats were no longer available as I
had no trouble buying them.

After they clean the boiler this year I will have to take my torpedo level to check the firebed for level.
If I find the boiler it is not level I will have to pry it up and place steel shim stock on the concrete bricks
it rests on.

When they installed the stoker boiler they used the concrete bricks the old hand fed boiler was resting on.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”