Efm 520

Cm311loud

Post by Cm311loud » Mon. Mar. 27, 2023 4:15 pm

I'm wondering how much these parts are worth. I have a pot and motor with the worm(10 ft) and the casing for it with the coupler. It's all in good shape. Also I'm not sure if the boiler is ok but I have the base for it and I'm wondering if that is worth the trouble getting out from the boiler. Any help is appreciated.

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Mon. Mar. 27, 2023 6:07 pm

depends on what shape everything is in

Cm311loud

Post by Cm311loud » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 3:13 pm

I would say pretty good shape. No evidence of burning anywhere. The grates look good. All the pieces are there. Anybody have ballpark guess?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 9:21 am

Cm311loud wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 3:13 pm
Anybody have ballpark guess?
Your not giving us enough info to even make a guess. Condition is everything when it comes to selling parts like this. "Burning" is not normal ware for a stoker boiler. Mechanical ware of the augers, pipes, pot, bushings, ect... is what would determine the value. If it's a 10+ year old unit and not properly maintained, chances are that parts will need to be replaced to get it in running condition. That means it's not worth much.

On the other hand, if you know the augers and pipes have been replaced in recent years and the unit has recent service records, it could be worth a lot more.
Cm311loud wrote:
Mon. Mar. 27, 2023 4:15 pm
Also I'm not sure if the boiler is ok but I have the base for it and I'm wondering if that is worth the trouble getting out from the boiler.
Why do you say that? Does it leak? If it's still installed you should be able to give it water pressure to check it.

Bottom line.
If it is an old EFM in unknown condition and it needs to be removed from a basement, it's not worth much. It will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it when they consider the labor to remove it and the cost to repair it.

-don

Cm311loud

Post by Cm311loud » Wed. Apr. 05, 2023 10:41 am

Thank you for that informative response. From what I can tell it ran for 4 years and then sat for 2 years. It was drained of water and the valve was open so I can only guess that it was drained before any damage from freezing. The water was turned off so I took basically the working parts of it out. I cleaned it up and it looks new with the paint. I guess there is no way to tell how worn the worm is. Thank you again for your response Don.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”