A Different Kind of Boiler

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Mar. 08, 2023 4:23 pm

I've heard that the reverse osmosis is a bit different than the syrup that is boiled only.. I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference, but I've also never had them side by side to test.. any opinions on that?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Mar. 08, 2023 4:40 pm

I have not tried them side by side, but I know my neighbor boils all of his syrup for retail sales without the RO (for the reason you mentioned).

I prefer dark amber syrup.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Mar. 08, 2023 5:29 pm

I don't know if there is a certification process for what constitutes a real maple syrup or if there are classes of it.

But for $50 / gal I would only want one evaporated in the historical method using wood as the heat source. Regardless of taste

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Wed. Mar. 08, 2023 6:52 pm

This year I built and used a small homemade RO system. All you are taking out is pure water.
We did a side by side blind taste test with what we had made previously - without RO. We could tell no difference.
We did have a pint from way back when we cooked on an open wood fire. That sysrup has a smoky tang to it, as you would expect.
I doubt anyone could tell what kind of fuel was used on any of the today's evaporaters that have the firebox's enclosed. I still have my big pan for cooking on a open fire, but the only thing i can think it will be used for would be cooking a pig or a huge batch of sweet corn.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”