Ka2 Studdering!

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 8:09 am

I glad we are having a warm spell as I need to work on my boiler. I have been having a number of out fires. So this morning I pulled the fan and vacuumed the fines out. But when I started up I noticed the stoker plate was, for a lack of a better word, shuddering. I think there are lots of fines that need to be removed.
So just waiting for it to cool and then get it done!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 8:41 am

This is a good time to do it. We still have plenty of the heating season in front of us.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 9:18 am

If you're shutting down again, it wouldn't hurt to vacuum out your stovepipe down by the boiler breech. Excessive fly ash causes the majority of out fires... I usually only clean mine out once mid season, but this year I'm getting a little more fly ash than usual and have cleaned it twice.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 2:00 pm

Everything is nice and clean. 65F today!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 8:18 am

Kungur wrote:
Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 2:00 pm
Everything is nice and clean. 65F today!
Hi Kungur, I just seen your post for the first time. How are you making out with your boiler? Yes, it sounds like your pusher block was binding. I'm guessing fines...... As far as out fires, My Kaa-2 will go out in warm temps like that, due to no call for heat. When no call for heat, two things happen. 1,) The idle fire is too small, and burns out before reaching the next group of timer pins. 2.) The draft weakens, making it even worse. I have to add timer pins To maintain a bigger idle fire, which also creates more draft. The bigger idle fire maintains till the next group of timer pins, and so on.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Took everything apart and cleaned it. Lots of fines. I was getting a few outfires and now that you mention it I did remove 1 pin from each group.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Warm spells speak doom for the flat grate units. That's probably my biggest frustration with my keystoker, if you took too long of a shower and the fire got too big it just never calmed down enough and would overheat the boiler and well you know the rest. I'm loving the axeman, I can can turn the heat off and leave the house for the whole day- come home late at night and that puppy will rebound to full temp in less than twenty minutes. Keystoker gets the award for fewest moving parts and best piece of mind in my opinion. Augers have their own field of maintenance and caution. The hopper fed systems are just too simple to be criticized.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:57 am

When I see Don's video's of the Axeman I must admit that I am intrigued! But I am not going to do a switch at this point. I have learned the way of the KA2.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 8:14 am

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 9:12 pm
Warm spells speak doom for the flat grate units. That's probably my biggest frustration with my keystoker, if you took too long of a shower and the fire got too big it just never calmed down enough and would overheat the boiler and well you know the rest. I'm loving the axeman, I can can turn the heat off and leave the house for the whole day- come home late at night and that puppy will rebound to full temp in less than twenty minutes. Keystoker gets the award for fewest moving parts and best piece of mind in my opinion. Augers have their own field of maintenance and caution. The hopper fed systems are just too simple to be criticized.
Do you have a thread on your unit? Or where you got a lot of helpful information? I bought a used KA6 and will soon be in process of setting it up. I know nothing of boilers and I did start a thread ,but as it's a pay as I go scenario it's going to be a long slow deal.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 9:33 am

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 9:12 pm
I burn my kaa-4 all summer. I've only had one out fire in 7 years and that was caused by too much fly ash in the breech. It was late August and I hadn't vacuumed since late December... I now vacuum the stovepipe and breech at the end of heating season and have not had any issues since. I have my feed set for 2" of ash and my timer runs 43s on and 10 minutes off. I will adjust the feed in the spring to stabilize the temp at around 210° but other than that, I don't mess with it.

Attachments

IMG_20211205_104135721.jpg
.JPG | 385.4KB | IMG_20211205_104135721.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 12:41 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 9:33 am
I burn my kaa-4 all summer. I've only had one out fire in 7 years and that was caused by too much fly ash in the breech. It was late August and I hadn't vacuumed since late December... I now vacuum the stovepipe and breech at the end of heating season and have not had any issues since. I have my feed set for 2" of ash and my timer runs 43s on and 10 minutes off. I will adjust the feed in the spring to stabilize the temp at around 210° but other than that, I don't mess with it.
I would swap that clean out tee with the 90 below it. Most of the flyash ends up in the first bend.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 1:02 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 12:41 pm
I would swap that clean out tee with the 90 below it. Most of the flyash ends up in the first bend.
I can reach the bottom 90 from the inside. I used to have it the other way around but realized if I configure it that way I can vacuum my pipes while it's running. I just wait for a warmish day and vac after a long idle. Old configuration below:

Attachments

IMG_20191013_060545425.jpg
.JPG | 405.7KB | IMG_20191013_060545425.jpg

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 1:10 pm

Capture co2 chart.JPG
.JPG | 48.6KB | Capture co2 chart.JPG
Hmmm..carbons dioxicide levels before re-starting and 5 min later after re-start

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 3:42 pm

Kungur wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:57 am
When I see Don's video's of the Axeman I must admit that I am intrigued! But I am not going to do a switch at this point. I have learned the way of the KA2.
If I had started with an axeman I think I would have been equally or more frustrated, I probably give a bit more of a negative light than necessary on keystoker than necessary, partially due to the fact my unit is older and wired up without a dump zone because I'd rather have an outfire than heat my house in the summer. Also I suspect something being somewhat wrong with my unit because I've had issues nobody else seems to have and my flue temp is considerably less than seems normal when running, I had an axeman rusting away in my shed that I never paid for, so me replacement was more of a fun project than anything.

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 3:48 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 8:14 am
Do you have a thread on your unit? Or where you got a lot of helpful information? I bought a used KA6 and will soon be in process of setting it up. I know nothing of boilers and I did start a thread ,but as it's a pay as I go scenario it's going to be a long slow deal.
Yes there is a link called the ka6 user guide that has everything for running one of these. I can't seem to figure out how to paste the link using my non smart phone. Don't be afraid, it's pretty much idiot proof though not tinkerhappy friendly....which is my issue..:-)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”