AHS130 hopper issue

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:19 pm

MINO wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 11:55 am
do you have a heat switch on the hopper?? What are your settings ? I just went thru same ordeal minus the hopper fire to find out it was the coal I was burning…. But stuff I did dialed it in pretty good…
There is a heat switch, and it is set to whatever the factory settings are. I have a feeling this happened last night, as the hopper ran dry, as I never noticed any burned coal or ash falling into the burn chamber before. I cleaned everything really well, raised my asking temp to 145, and refilled. We shall see….

MINO

Post by MINO » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:41 pm

Trumpeterb wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:19 pm
There is a heat switch, and it is set to whatever the factory settings are. I have a feeling this happened last night, as the hopper ran dry, as I never noticed any burned coal or ash falling into the burn chamber before. I cleaned everything really well, raised my asking temp to 145, and refilled. We shall see….
I know you said you have used boiler prior but what is your ash cycle when ashing? What is the off time for ash during a heat call? Is your draft ok? Is the obvious done like is boiler and chimney clean and ok? I only ask because I just went thru a crash course in 5 weeks on the coal gun

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 1:34 pm

MINO wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:41 pm
I know you said you have used boiler prior but what is your ash cycle when ashing? What is the off time for ash during a heat call? Is your draft ok? Is the obvious done like is boiler and chimney clean and ok? I only ask because I just went thru a crash course in 5 weeks on the coal gun
As far as I know, all is good. I cleansed the chimney and boiler at the beginning of the season (end of September). Draft seems right where it should be according to the meter. Ash temp was set for 140 with a 10° differential. I kicked in at 130 and off at 140. I raised that to 145 today to see if I can get the issue corrected.

Pa papa
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130
Coal Size/Type: Pea; anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler; LP insert

Post by Pa papa » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 11:57 pm

From the peanut gallery:
I think I was told to not set the ashing temperature much below 130. Although I have had it as low as 126. In the spring & early fall.
Running at 126 ash temperature raises the fire bed very close to the hopper inlet. aka a shallow burning bed of coal. A higher ash temp setting pushes the active fire deeper into the fire pot.
From your pictures, it looks like it was burning "in" the hopper.
I'd also inspect the gasket on the lid of the hopper for a good sealing surface.

StephenD
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Pea
Other Heating: Fuel Oil backup

Post by StephenD » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 12:20 am

It could'nt of been ashing very much to burn up into the coal bin.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:29 am

So far so good. This is the fire now, and the coal is, so far, once again dropping appropriately. I will monitor this over the next week and see if anything changes.

Attachments

MINO

Post by MINO » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Looks good!!! One thing I can say is if you have an auger feed system probably once a month in the summer but probably every two weeks in the winter is throw a glove on and pull the coal toward the middle because dust and fines build up quick on the sides the short time I have mine in service … or just in general… when I cleaned my hopper out to change coal suppliers I was surprised how it accumulated

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:17 pm

MINO wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:06 pm
Looks good!!! One thing I can say is if you have an auger feed system probably once a month in the summer but probably every two weeks in the winter is throw a glove on and pull the coal toward the middle because dust and fines build up quick on the sides the short time I have mine in service … or just in general… when I cleaned my hopper out to change coal suppliers I was surprised how it accumulated
Good advice. I don’t have an auger now, I just use a 5-gallon bucket and carry the coal in from the bin. I can imagine an auger is in my future though, as my knees and back disagree with the bucket method….

MINO

Post by MINO » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:32 pm

Trumpeterb wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:17 pm
Good advice. I don’t have an auger now, I just use a 5-gallon bucket and carry the coal in from the bin. I can imagine an auger is in my future though, as my knees and back disagree with the bucket method….
I run an auger from hogslat 3.5inch and so far so good… it is a life saver for sure…

Attachments

AB570EFC-DFC5-4A81-A41D-AA93C0D7F1CE.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | AB570EFC-DFC5-4A81-A41D-AA93C0D7F1CE.jpeg

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:41 pm

MINO wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:32 pm
I run an auger from hogslat 3.5inch and so far so good… it is a life saver for sure…
That is quite a setup! I would have no idea where to even start finding the parts needed to install an auger system other than buying the one made specifically for the coal gun.

MINO

Post by MINO » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 11:10 pm

Trumpeterb wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:41 pm
That is quite a setup! I would have no idea where to even start finding the parts needed to install an auger system other than buying the one made specifically for the coal gun.
If you can get by with that and your bin is close that’s a good auger… I had to run a good distance so I opted for a flex auger…. Use the search bar and you can see some others setups even an auger to remove ash

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 8:45 am

Trumpeterb wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:41 pm
MINO wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 10:32 pm

Mino told you where…Hogslat

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 4:50 pm

Update—it has been a week now, and everything still seems to be working as it should. The hopper issue seems to be resolved for now.

Attachments

FullSizeRender.MOV
.MOV | 8.9MB | FullSizeRender.MOV

MINO

Post by MINO » Sun. Dec. 11, 2022 12:43 pm

Good to hear… maybe fines buildup?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”