EKO Duo Boiler?

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 6:38 pm

Has anyone else run into these? They look promising. They're claiming 90% efficiency. https://www.mbtek.com/collections/solid-fuel-boil ... cts/eko-35

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I don't understand why you would think a foreign made, Bituminous/Biofuel stoker boiler would be better than an US made Anthracite stoker boiler? Unless maybe you have a good source for Bituminous/Biofuel?

The best Anthracite coal stoker boilers have been made in Pennsylvania for the past 80 years. You can find used ones for WAY less than that foreign made boiler. On top of that it will probably cost another grand or 2 to get it shipped here.

-Don

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 7:18 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 7:10 pm
I don't understand why you would think a foreign made, Bituminous/Biofuel stoker boiler would be better than an US made Anthracite stoker boiler? Unless maybe you have a good source for Bituminous/Biofuel?

The best Anthracite coal stoker boilers have been made in Pennsylvania for the past 80 years. You can find used ones for WAY less than that foreign made boiler. On top of that it will probably cost another grand or 2 to get it shipped here.

-Don
Yeah, I did some digging, reviews weren't that great. They look pretty cool though. Supposed efficiency of 90%. I like the built in 900lb hopper. Sounds like the support etc aren't that great either.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 10:36 pm

You build a hopper/bin to any size imaginable. No need to import such a beast.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 9:12 am

The EKO boilers were designed for a multifuel Eastern and Western European market where their electricity is 50 cycle Alternate Current, one could buy Anthracite, Bituminous, Sub Bituminous, lignite briquette coal, lignite, briquetted anthracite coal, wood pellets and cordwood; they work and work very well with the smaller tuyere/burn pot and heavy reduction gearing and delivery auger.

They have a high stoker and firebox efficiency because of the small narrow throated design of the burn pot which is much smaller than the DF520.

The beautiful iron fireman and All Canadian Coal stokers operate on the same principal with massive flow volumes of combustion air but they differ in that the combustion air is delivered in a separate air duct/tube to the Tuyere/burn pot where they employ a shallow depth burn pot.

The major difference between the old iron fireman and All Canadian coal stokers is the All Canadian Coal stokers have a cast burn pot cover with a round air passage in the center of the casting to direct the burning coal and ash to the center and up through the hole of the casting to assure a high rate of combustion with no smoke. As the cast cover is rotating the fine ash and any clinkers spill out and gradually fall to the edge and off the Tuyere/burn pot and on to the concrete floor of the ash pit.

The solid casting that covers the burn pot/ash ring rotate like the old shallow depth iron fireman coal stokers with rotating ash rings like the stokers made in South Dakota for lignite coal that are also used in the portage and main stokers.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:28 pm

I’d like to give one a try on this Illinois bit but I can’t justify the cost. My money is going on insulating.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 3:57 pm

You want a new boiler that's a good one? Get a D&S Aquastoke boiler! Made by the Amish and designed by a Coalpail member! I was looking at those imported boilers myself a few yrs ago but where do you get parts when it stops working on a cold winter day?
If you need a compact boiler look at the Leisure line boiler. Matt is a member here too and a great guy. He traveled to my shop already to help me fix my stoves for no charge.

Scrapper offered me a brand new D&S or Lesiure Line boiler at near his cost, but he also offered me a Dual Fuel EFM 350 that he built a few years before and took in on a trade (it's one of one efm never built the 350 as dual fuel) for 1/4th the price of the new boiler. I had him add the s20 pot to it for easier parts availability. Also came with a new domestic coil.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”