Efm 520 worm questions

Empstate

Post by Empstate » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Hey all. I have a efm520 and the worm snapped where someone had welded it together. I know I need to replace the worm but until I can get to doing that have a couple questions. Before it broke the feed pipe was the standard blue efm pipe that bolts in with a schedule 40 pipe extension. Now that it snapped i can only move the hopper closer and use the standard bolt in blue short pipe and 5 teeth are sticking out the pipe into the hopper. Main question is does the feed pipe have to be a certain length overall? Does it matter how many teeth on worm are coming out the pipe into the hopper? Thanks

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 3:24 pm

By saying hopper are you saying you have a barrel for the feeding coal to the stoker??

What do you mean by teeth? Are you saying the broken auger has 5 jagged edges on it
and it still can carry coal to the burn pot?

Do you have another heat source you can use while waiting for the new augers?

It would be better for you to order the new augers first thing Monday morning from EFM
and ask them to ship it overnight to you by mail or UPS.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Empstate wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 2:08 pm
Hey all. I have a efm520 and the worm snapped where someone had welded it together. I know I need to replace the worm but until I can get to doing that have a couple questions. Before it broke the feed pipe was the standard blue efm pipe that bolts in with a schedule 40 pipe extension. Now that it snapped i can only move the hopper closer and use the standard bolt in blue short pipe and 5 teeth are sticking out the pipe into the hopper. Main question is does the feed pipe have to be a certain length overall? Does it matter how many teeth on worm are coming out the pipe into the hopper? Thanks
You can use just the pot auger... Ours has been running non-stop for 56 years with just the short pot auger... Never had any issues with exhaust escaping through the short pipe, but some people have and they just cover the barrel to prevent it escaping.

Most try to have 2.5 flights exposed. Having 5 flights will cause a drag and likely lead to some grinding. You could try to clamp a slightly larger pipe on the end of the blue pipe to adjust the flights sticking out.

Empstate

Post by Empstate » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:03 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 3:43 pm
You can use just the pot auger... Ours has been running non-stop for 56 years with just the short pot auger... Never had any issues with exhaust escaping through the short pipe, but some people have and they just cover the barrel to prevent it escaping.

Most try to have 2.5 flights exposed. Having 5 flights will cause a drag and likely lead to some grinding. You could try to clamp a slightly larger pipe on the end of the blue pipe to adjust the flights sticking out.
Thanks exactly what I was looking for didn’t know if just the short pipe alone was a no no for some reason. I got some extra 2 inch pipe just need to cut a short piece for the 2.5 flights, really don’t want to buy a new worm unless I really have to. But it’s running just fine now.

Empstate

Post by Empstate » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:12 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 3:24 pm
By saying hopper are you saying you have a barrel for the feeding coal to the stoker??

What do you mean by teeth? Are you saying the broken auger has 5 jagged edges on it
and it still can carry coal to the burn pot?

Do you have another heat source you can use while waiting for the new augers?

It would be better for you to order the new augers first thing Monday morning from EFM
and ask them to ship it overnight to you by mail or UPS.

55 gallon drum, yes 5 flights are sticking out it still pumps coal. My auger is a little bent too. I was told I need to get the new auger and a extension for the auger. But do I really need a extension if I’m fine with the barrel just being closer and using the short pot pipe only?

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Empstate wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:03 pm
Thanks exactly what I was looking for didn’t know if just the short pipe alone was a no no for some reason. I got some extra 2 inch pipe just need to cut a short piece for the 2.5 flights, really don’t want to buy a new worm unless I really have to. But it’s running just fine now.
If you start smelling sulphur, be sure to cover your barrel and make sure your CO detector has fresh batteries. We have a super drafting chimney and have only smelled anything when letting the barrel empty out before the September cleaning. And even then, I can only remember it happening once.

You'll probably need to set your barrel up on blocks or build a small platform. We have a simple platform made out of 2 x 6's. The end of the pot auger sits much higher off the floor.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:54 pm

Here's a picture of our platform with the summer barrel on it. Even with this little trash can as a barrel, we don't have any fumes (35 to 40 foot interior chimney has a wicked draft!). With the 55 gal barrel we use in the winter, I don't think we've ever had fumes.

Attachments

IMG_20191009_092904024.jpg
.JPG | 426.7KB | IMG_20191009_092904024.jpg

Empstate

Post by Empstate » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 5:00 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 4:54 pm
Here's a picture of our platform with the summer barrel on it. Even with this little trash can as a barrel, we don't have any fumes (35 to 40 foot interior chimney has a wicked draft!). With the 55 gal barrel we use in the winter, I don't think we've ever had fumes.
Yes that’s the exact pipe length I have now. Thanks I do have a co detector. Haven’t smelled anything yet with the short pipe. Here’s the piece that snapped and the extension I had to remove, and how it’s sitting now. Was on a base already just had to add some 2x4s under to get the angle right again. Just propped it up for now.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Empstate/a/22184639 ... 50af23dbad

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”