Lost water temp and a bit of pressure

Ianmindy
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker...will get model when I get home...
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Post by Ianmindy » Tue. Nov. 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi All,

New post. We are entering our second winter with our keystoker (don't know the model but I will get it when I get home) and I noticed it was colder in the house and the DHW was colder this morning. Went down at 6 am to check and the flame was still lit, but it was closer to the hopper and not super intense. The temp dropped from 140 down to 100. I adjusted the hi and low to 180 and 160 respectively, and I turned the nut on the auger arm one rotation (last winter, I learned turning too much really messes with it)

I am still at work, but I facedtimed my son who is home from school and the temp is still 100 and the flame is still towards the back of the tray. A couple things I think may be the issue...
1) It got cold in all three zones finally (basement, 1st floor and 2nd floor) causing the pressure to decrease and it can't catch up
2) we got a coal delivery and the rice coal is different than the last. and we need to adjust the settings to accommodate the coal. I feel like this scenario is less than likely since the coal is from the same yard as the batch we got in May.
Not sure what else it could be. I appreciate any tips to troubleshoot. I am just glad the flame didn't go out while we were at work.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Nov. 15, 2022 5:01 pm

A couple of things to do;

1. let the fire go out,

2. let the boiler get cold

3. remove the combustion blower placing the screws in a cup or magnetic parts holder

4. vacuum the ash and coal dust out from under the fire grates-a small vacuum hose can reach into the corners
too.

5. remove the baffle plate from the angle ledge iron it sits on with gloved hands-IT IS HEAVY

6. you will probably have a mountain of ash in the flue breech that needs to be removed.
It is easier to just pull the ash into the firebox with a gloved hand and scoop it up

7. put the baffle plate back on the angle iron ledge it came off of making sure itis over the flue breech

8. If you have not done it this year put a couple of drops of oil in the oil holes of the Fasco blower motor
you have to turn it over to reach the oil holes

9. reinstall the blower exactly as you took it off the boiler by sliding it back into place and reinstalling
the screws to hold it in place

Thread the stokers feed adjustment nut all the way in until it stops and then back it out six full turns.

Start your fire again and after the starter fire is going well turn the power on for the stoker to begin feeding coal.

Place a big handful of coal in the end of a 1 /2 sheet piece of newsprint, roll it up and fold it over on itself
and place it on the fire and shut the fire viewing door.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Nov. 15, 2022 5:16 pm

It's also possible you have a large chunk of coal or a big rock blocking the feed. It's not uncommon, especially if you dump bags in instead of using bulk coal but it can happen with either... You'll need to empty the hopper to check for an obstruction in the throat.

Ianmindy
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker...will get model when I get home...
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Post by Ianmindy » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks to both of your suggestions. I am thinking it was something stuck in the throat...I adjusted the nut one more spin and it seemed to catch up and the pressure rebounded and the boiler temp was on the upper part of the new range this morning. @Iza, I will keep your suggestion for a nice enough day when I can put the flames out and give a good cleaning. We only cleaned the ash bin and exhaust section of the furnace a few months ago.

Also, when I start the fire, we have been using about 6-7 cracked charcoal briquettes rolled in a little lighter fluid. I don't have any newspaper laying around but I think I may like that system better.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 11:08 am

Good to hear it's working again! Give hardwood charcoal a try... It burns much hotter than regular charcoal and lights the coal very fast. Use newspaper or a brown paper lunch bag. I light mine with a propane torch when starting the Keystoker but we use lighter fluid on the hardwood charcoal when lighting the EFM520.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”