Boiler water temperature

jonesrm55
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA2
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Utica oil boiler

Post by jonesrm55 » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 11:23 am

Good morning, I have a question about my Keystoker Kaa2 that i haven't used in 3 years. It is hooked in series with my oil boiler, which i disable except in emergencies. Timer is set with 6 pins every 10 min. (1 1/2 min) and triple aquastat is set at 180 hi lim, 160 lim and 20 deg differential. Water wont go much past 140 deg. but it used to go to 180. Ambient hasn't gotten below 35 deg yet, but its coming. Fire all looks good also. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 12:12 pm

Your boiler won't run up to the high limit unless there is something calling for heat (typically a thermostat or signal from zone control relay). I would check over your wiring and see how the controls are setup.

Also, I would reduce low limit differential to 10 degrees.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 1:21 pm

jonesrm55 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 11:23 am
Good morning, I have a question about my Keystoker Kaa2 that i haven't used in 3 years. It is hooked in series with my oil boiler, which i disable except in emergencies. Timer is set with 6 pins every 10 min. (1 1/2 min) and triple aquastat is set at 180 hi lim, 160 lim and 20 deg differential. Water wont go much past 140 deg. but it used to go to 180. Ambient hasn't gotten below 35 deg yet, but its coming. Fire all looks good also. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks
It will go much higher if you have a call for heat. Mine runs around 200 in mid winter when the feed rate is high. Sometimes goes up to 220 when we have a warm spell in the dead of winter and i have to turn the feed rate down to keep it from overheating.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 2:01 pm

jonesrm55 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 11:23 am

Good morning,

I have a question about my Keystoker Kaa2 that i haven't used in 3 years. It is hooked in series with my oil boiler, which I disable except in emergencies.

Timer is set with 6 pins every 10 min. (1 1/2 min) and triple aquastat is set at 180 hi limit, 160 limit and 20 deg differential.

Water won't go much past 140 deg. but it used to go to 180. Ambient hasn't gotten below 35 deg yet, but it's coming. Fire all looks good also. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

======================================================================================================
======================================================================================================

No need to panic.

1. Did you vacuum under the fire bed to remove the soot and ash??

2. Did you remove the baffle plate in front of the flue breech to check for fly ash build up????????

Set the low limit to 140 Degrees Fahrenheit and the high limit to 160 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Reset the dump zone temperature to 190 degrees with a 10 degree differential.

I have my kaa-4-1 set with 8 threads out now.

After you clean the flue breech and ash traps if you have them and vacuum under
the fire grates and change your high and low limits and reset the differential you
can start a new fire with 6 threads out and then back it off.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 2:14 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 2:01 pm
No need to panic.

1. Did you vacuum under the fire bed to remove the soot and ash??
2. Did you remove the baffle plate in front of the flue breech to check for fly ash build up????????
Thats right ,i just did my yearly maintenance and you have to remove the fan to clean out under the grate or take the whole grate out and reseal it upon reinstalling it(a lot more work). A lot of fine coal falls into that area and it will eventually block off the air feeding the fire. Also i have to clean my flue pipe out once or twice a season as it will block with fly ash. One year i had to do it for every ton of coal burned if the coal produces a lot of fluffy fly ash. Just feel the flue pipe when running ,if only the top half is hot, you have ash building up on the bottom. I also had to redrill out some of the air holes in the grate that block up with slag. Buts it hard to get at with the grate in place

jonesrm55
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA2
Other Heating: Utica oil boiler

Post by jonesrm55 » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 8:21 am

Good morning, thanks for the replies. I guess I just havent had a good load on it yet. Havent had to use it for 3 years, till now (thanks Joe) and i'm a little rusty with it. Thanks again

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Keep us informed of your progress.

Always here to help!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”