Keystoker KA6 Ash Door Handle

jcw265
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker. KA 6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by jcw265 » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 7:42 am

Hey everyone I have a Keystoker KA6 and was getting it ready for winter , trying to open the ash door the handle broke off in my hand ! Yes the hinge was a little rusty but it came loose with little to no effort . I had the vendor where I bought it from contact Keystoker to replace it and they said NOPE :( So now I have to buy one I guess , Has anyone else has this problem and if so , how do you prevent this or is there a better design , As always thanks for your help in my boiler adventures !! :D

Love in Christ

Jay

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 11:05 am

I'm not sure the handle is the same style as my stoker stove. If it is, mine is a piece of threaded rod that runs through the door with handle on outside and wedge on the inside. The threaded rod is just regular steel. My door also was stuck due to the rod rusting up slightly inside the door preventing it from turning freely. I finally got it apart and disassembled it. I cleaned up all of the parts, ran a tap back through the door to clean up the threads. Then I replaced the steel threaded rod with stainless steel threaded rod and stainless nuts also. This seems to have taken care of the probem. Also about 2x's per year, I spray the handle with a little bit of PB blaster. Good luck.

Jeff

szembek

Post by szembek » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Same thing happened to me with my keystoker A120 this summer. Rusted shut, handle broke when I tried to open it. Ended up having to use a pipe wrench to get the door open. Dealer said he'll pick one up from Keystoker for me.... shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks I would think.

jcw265
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker. KA 6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by jcw265 » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 7:04 am

Yeah I was kinda hoping my dealer would do the same but NO ! Oh well I am going to try what ceccil said to do also I wonder if I could get that handle welded ?? can you weld that kind of metal or what ever it is . ??

Love in Christ

Jay Williams

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 7:53 am

You can weld just about anything, I had a guy weld 1/32 inch stainless to 3/8 steel. Guess you'd have to understand welding a little to understand... in any event it depends on the skill of your welder.

In any event if it were me I'd probably just fabricate a new part, can you post pictures of exactly what broke?

GaryFerg
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by GaryFerg » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 11:07 am

szembek wrote:
Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 2:53 pm
Same thing happened to me with my keystoker A120 this summer. Rusted shut, handle broke when I tried to open it. Ended up having to use a pipe wrench to get the door open. Dealer said he'll pick one up from Keystoker for me.... shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks I would think.
same thing happened to me keystoker wanted 27 dollars for a replacement i just use an old vise grip

szembek

Post by szembek » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 2:08 pm

GaryFerg wrote:
Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 11:07 am
same thing happened to me keystoker wanted 27 dollars for a replacement i just use an old vise grip
Hah, in reviving this old thread, I actually have the new handle, but never installed it! I just lean the extra ash bins against the door. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”