Van wert transmission.

Pauleyaa
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van wert
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by Pauleyaa » Mon. May. 09, 2022 11:30 pm

I have a van wert coal stove. Not sure what model, but the small gear just stops moving out of no where. I took the top off of the transmission or gear box. Does any one have a photo of the inside gears and what not. I know nothing about coal stoves, so any help is appreciated.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. May. 10, 2022 7:29 am

Sounds like a shear pin might have broken... Hopefully StokerDon will chime in. He should be able to point you in the right direction to get it fixed.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. May. 13, 2022 10:13 am

I don't know if I can be much help. I have never had to take a good look inside a Van Wert gearbox.

First off, unless it's one of the bigger Van Werts, We'll assume you have a VA 400, 600 or 800. And we will assume you are talking about a boiler, not a stove. These have the Bond, 600:1 gearbox. Like Nepa said, it should have a shear pin on the input shaft. That would be the first place to look.

If the shear pin is broken, then you have to figure out why it broke. Most likely, something is stuck in one of the augers or pipes and augers are worn out and the auger is catching on a broken pipe edge.

Also check the auger shear pins, that is actually the first place you should look. The bin auger and the pot auger both have shear pins where they go through the transfer head.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”