Two Axeman-Anderson Coal Boilers for sale

JPepper
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson

Post by JPepper » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 2:38 pm

Sorry I don't know much about these, my father who is in his 90's has been rebuilding Axeman-Anderson hot water boilers for probably well over 30 years. His shop is located in Shippensburg, PA. He has three units that he rebuilt which are as I understand it in working order, and he'd like to sell two of them. My parents house has one of dad's rebuilt boilers heating his shop and adjacent house, and although he says he'd like to keep the 3rd extra unit as a spare.....he might be willing to sell it as well.

Unit Two:
Unit 2 a.jpg
.JPG | 530.3KB | Unit 2 a.jpg
Unit 2 b.jpg
.JPG | 491.7KB | Unit 2 b.jpg
Unit 2 c.jpg
.JPG | 531.2KB | Unit 2 c.jpg
Unit One:
Boiler 1 b.jpg
.JPG | 374.9KB | Boiler 1 b.jpg
Boiler 1 c.jpg
.JPG | 360.1KB | Boiler 1 c.jpg
Boiler 1 a.jpg
.JPG | 310.5KB | Boiler 1 a.jpg
Feed Tubes - There are feed tubes for each:
FeedTubes.jpg
.JPG | 80.4KB | FeedTubes.jpg
The units are in a storage building on his property, there is a tractor that can be used to lift the units onto a truck or flat-bed truck. Knowing my dad, there are also spare parts somewhere in one of the buildings on his property as well.

If there is any interest in these, or for that matter anyone willing to explain how best to go about selling these please feel free to contact me.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 11:29 pm

I believe some of us members had the opportunity to meet your father at a Meet and Greet gathering where we toured the Alternate Heating Supply (AHS) manufacturing facility a few years back.

I had heard of him and even knew a guy looking for an AA and sent a buyer his way and the guy came back home to Ohio with a fine rebuilt AA. 👍

This was in the archives:
LoschStoker wrote:
Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 8:13 am
AA got the coil flange build out idea from Orbie Pepley of Shippensburg,PA.
He's been doing it that way for 30 years.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 6:58 am

Man,it's a "Small World"! I remember the AHS Meet-N-Greet... God,how many years now,McGiev's??

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 8:19 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 6:58 am
Man,it's a "Small World"! I remember the AHS Meet-N-Greet... God,how many years now,McGiev's??
HB I’m not sure. But it was a Great time!!
You, (Barry)-Keepaeyeonit and myself thought we seen a bread truck racing by looking for Axeman parts and all the coal it might carry LOL

Found this little snippet and was 2019:

kcarr wrote:
Mon. Oct. 07, 2019 1:03 pm
A great time was had by all for sure ...once that crazy crew blew in from Ohio in the big Ford Coal Loaded Truck the party was on. It was great to see all the coalpail members again and to meet a few newer members as well.... It's great when you can match their user name to the actual person.
Definitely an interesting place AHS with all the tons of inventory ready to go...they must have lots of welders employed there... a mechanical man's dream that place is. All the side contraptions and special tools to make that place go, I was / still am amazed. A shop that is orderly and as neat as a pin. It shows that they really care about their business....and to top it off AHS is only about 1/2 mile from a big section of the abandoned PA Turnpike...another great tour....in fact we passed right over it on our way to lunch.

Richard or whoever chose Pizza Star ll for lunch a great choice. Parking was a little tricky but well worth the effort...I'm ready to go back for lunch anytime ! The name tags were a great idea and we be sure to have them for future M&G...

Lee a great Idea if Richard could give us more advance date so we can plan and even better when the M&G is in colder weather, we were lucky this time to have a beautiful sunny cold day... When we were in Berwick, I think two years ago it was early November...now that is definitely coal thinking time !

The trip was about 355 miles round trip for me from Quakertown, PA... about three hours to get out there... these newer higher speed limits are something...if you're not doing 75+ you will be real soon...traffic on
78 / 81/ and Turnpike just pushes you right along...and did not see one speed trap anywhere...far different from the days of the 55 speed limit and needing the reliable CB.

Ultimately a great time... Thank You !! Jeff & Phyllis and great seeing everybody again !
Ohhh and Thanks Barry / keepaneyeonit for all the great photos !

Ken
Last edited by McGiever on Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 8:30 am

Love It!! Yeah,That Definitely Back In Da' Day When "The Breadman,None Other Than "Lightning" Lee" Was In Da' Rabid Hunt For His "New To Him" Axeman-Anderson!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 12:34 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 11:29 pm
I believe some of us members had the opportunity to meet your father at a Meet and Greet gathering where we toured the Alternate Heating Supply (AHS) manufacturing facility a few years back.
I am really sorry I missed that one! :cry:

Unfortunately it was billed as a Meet N' Greet at the "Legacy Stove Works". I had no idea at the time that what they meant was "AHS"! I would LOVE to see the AHS Works! And all you coal burning nuts out there.

Maybe it's time to do it again???
-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 12:44 pm

JPepper wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 2:38 pm
If there is any interest in these, or for that matter anyone willing to explain how best to go about selling these please feel free to contact me.
Welcome to the forum,

I would list them separately in the free classified section of this web site.

For Sale Coal Boilers, Furnaces, Stoves & Heating Related Items

I would also list them on FB Marketplace and CL. In all cases I would include pictures and an asking price. I would also list them separately because most people would only be looking to buy one unit so you need to keep them focused, not confused.

It looks like one of your units is stamped "1959" and the other "077597". The first was made in 1959 and the second is likely made in "07", 2007.

-Don

JPepper
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson

Post by JPepper » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 5:33 pm

Orbie Pepley is my father, and I know that he devised that build out with the first AA he had purchased. At one point I know he went to the manufacturer to discuss their design. Seems like every time I went home he was rebuilding another one of these boilers. Sort of became his hobby after retiring. At least three relatives have his rebuilt boilers heating their houses.

I'll take Stoker Dan's advice and list these separately in the classified section. Somehow missed that section when I stumbled upon this site.

Any other advice anyone would like to pass on would be appreciated.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”